News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tap Tempo Tremolo?

Started by Mischa, September 18, 2017, 03:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mischa

Does anyone knows if it is possible to add a tap tempo switch to a Surfy Trem? (http://surfybear.weebly.com/blog/harmonic-tremolo-using-jfets).

WormBoy

Do you have a schematic? Very likely not in a simple way, and very likely not with just a switch. As far as I can see, the kit for the trem is not very hack-friendly as it is all presoldered SMD components. If you need tap tempo, you're probably better off with a trem project that already includes it in the design.

HamSandwich

Send him an email - he's a kind dude, he'll be able to answer!

orbitbot

Conceptually I'd assume it'd be a question of matching tempo to resistance for the speed pot, so you'd need some kind of microcontroller that counts bpm and you'd need to calibrate resistance to match the tap. The Taptation for PT2399 might lend some ideas, but you should probably also consider that the pedal doesn't really go all that slow with the default pot range (see the thread on the surfguitar101.com forum) and would need significantly higher resistance for much slower speeds. There is some tap tempo microcontroller code around, f.e. the sabrotone.com stuff built for ATTinys, and googling just now it seems he's selling some preprogrammed as well.

Probably doable, but probably not particularly easy.

Mischa

Hey thanks for all the insight people, very helpful. Since I'm a noob I think I will forget about it for now.