News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help from you good people with altering the pitch pirate LFO

Started by Lukevh, September 19, 2017, 04:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lukevh

Hi guys. My first post here :)

I've got a few years experience building pedals for myself. Self taught from the internet and some of my dad's old school knowledge.

I've built a pitch pirate with this layout.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JdogY2DcEGs/VSVhdyGGnuI/AAAAAAAAEfY/37zbVXzyCMM/s1600/MidFi%2BDLXPP.png

It works amazingly except for a tick in the lfo which I can get to go away.

I have it wired very tidy
I have a lm358-n in there which I know is a commonly used chip for lfos like this one(also I've tried others tl072, 4558 etc).
I have isolated the lfo power with a 200ohm resistor and a 10uf cap from the v+ pin back to ground.

But still it ticks!

It's not noise from the pt2933 because if I pull the voltage regulator out the pt noise goes leaving just the tick off the lfo!

So my two questions are.

What type of lfo is this specifically?

And can I somehow alter the waveform to be more of a shark tooth waveform. Ala the stomboxology mod that I have seen mentioned on alot of lfo help topics? It adds a resistor and cap to the lfo but I'm not sure that it is the same type of lfo as in the pitch pirate.

I've built 2 clari cubed's and had the exact same problem after trying all these fix's

How would I do that?

Where should I start?

I would appreciate any help from someone who knows about this stuff.

I can post pics of my build when I get home from work.

Thanks from NZ!

Luke. ;D

Update!
Ok so I found the schematic on a Russian site

Looking at the lfo section can anyone help me with what components I could add/change to soften the edges of the waveforms?

http://sovietguitars.com/print.php?plugin:forum.325704

flanagan0718

Ticking is hard to eliminate. Lots of people say use shielded cable, Others say to bump some of the cap values (specifically ones in the LFO power section). I've personally never had to deal with it but try looking up ticking solve for the zombie chorus. it might help. Sorry i couldn't be more of a help.

pickdropper

Is the LFO section of the board near the I/O jacks? I've observed that problem in tocking chorus builds before.  It may be worth checking out.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

HamSandwich

Is there a schematic for this version? Can only seem to find the regular clarinot one

Is the LFO similar to the tremulous lune?

Addy Bart

As others said: shielded cables for the input and output wires (keep them as short as you can, and away from the LFO stuff), and also keep the LFO pots (speed & wave) far away from the I/O jacks. Perhaps try a TL022 or TL062 in there instead of the LM-358N. No experience with the latter but I have used the former for Deluxe Pitch Pirate builds without ticking.

Boba7

First, the LFO is not the LM386 chip, it's the 4558. So you should isolate it with a 100r/100uf combo. Also try tl022 or tl062.
I used a TL062 that I isolated in mine and the ticking went away.

Also, try a buffered pedal before it, and if the ticking disappears then put a simple Jfet buffer before the effect. I put one in mine not because of the ticking but because depending on its placement in my fx chain, the sound changed too much.

Last, I'm pretty sure Doug from Midfi uses the led from the ldr/led couple as a bypass led. That way when the pedal is turned off, the led is turned off too and so you can't hear any ticking.

Hope it helps!

Lukevh

Hey guys! I just wanted to thank you all for your advice on the ticking of the pedal. I will employ all of the ideas you have given me and see what happens! I will put I picture up for you guys when I m home from work! Sorry for the late reply. I was confused about the chip sorry I meant the 4558/ dual op for the lfo

Lukevh

Oh yeah and I couldn't find a schematic for the delux pitch pirate. Just some Russian on of the regular pp.

I just built a valve mic and gat pre I will post up later too. I'd like some feedback on it :)