Author Topic: liquid electrical tape??  (Read 981 times)

snz728

• Solder Ninja
  • steve
    • View Profile
liquid electrical tape??
« on: September 06, 2011, 05:48:41 AM »
Shopping at Lowe's hardware store I came across a product called "liquid electrical tape".

What do you guys think about using this to paint the back of finished PCB boards to prevent shorts with anything it touches?

Is this a good idea? if so, how about the pot connections and other things too?

here's the product: http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Liquid_Tape_-_Electrical_Insulation

mgwhit

• Honorary Bean
  • Electron Doctor
  • Matthew
    • View Profile
Re: liquid electrical tape??
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 06:53:15 AM »
I don't know anything about that product, but another member uses Electrolube.  Check this thread: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=2516.msg20350#msg20350.

cjkbug

• Electron Doctor
  • cory
    • View Profile
    • My Tattoo Shop
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 07:13:54 AM »
I got some when I first started building. I hated it. It was super thick and hard to put on cleanly, it takes forever to dry. I did however like dipping the backs of my pots in the plastic coating for tool handles. I think it's called plasti-dip. that stuff worked great for insulating pots.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

Haberdasher

• Honorary Bean
  • Electron Doctor
  • "El Duder-ino"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 07:27:03 AM »
I bought a jar of it about a year & a half ago.  I opened it up and looked at it.  It was so thick and stringy and gloppy I decided right then I wasn't going to use any of it, because I couldn't imagine how a person would use it in a tidy way without thinning it out first.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

jimmybjj

• Honorary Bean
  • Electron Doctor
  • Jim
    • View Profile
    • BeeJive Pedals
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 07:36:13 AM »
I got some when I first started building. I hated it. It was super thick and hard to put on cleanly, it takes forever to dry. I did however like dipping the backs of my pots in the plastic coating for tool handles. I think it's called plasti-dip. that stuff worked great for insulating pots.

Neat, I'm gonna try that :)

gtr2

• Honorary Bean
  • Electron Doctor
  • Josh
    • View Profile
    • 1776 effects
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 08:30:18 AM »
I've used it at work for light wire nicks from a shovel scraping an irrigation wire.  It's real messy, but it does do the job.  I'd never use it in a pedal though.

Josh

bigmufffuzzwizz

• Honorary Bean
  • Electron Doctor
  • Magic S.
    • View Profile
    • Magic Pedals
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 01:10:44 PM »
I don't know anything about that product, but another member uses Electrolube.  Check this thread: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=2516.msg20350#msg20350.

I gotta find a US distributors of this stuff..if that even exist.

dwstanford

• Solder Ninja
  • Danny
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 01:51:20 PM »
I havent used this stuff but i have used arcrylic caulk mixed with weldbond glue.  You can paint it on and you can dillute it to your desired thickness.  I like to mix black arcrylic paint in with it.  Ive used it a couple of times and it seems to work well.  Ive thought about trying latex caulk mixed with latex paint but havent tried it yet.

slimtriggers

• Electron Doctor
  • Tod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 04:23:48 PM »
That Liquid Tape is nasty stuff, and the fumes are horrible :P  I've used it on the trace sides of boards to insulate them from the enclosure.  It's, nasty, sloppy, ugly stuff, though.  I don't recommend it.

cjkbug

• Electron Doctor
  • cory
    • View Profile
    • My Tattoo Shop
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 05:07:20 PM »
It really is gross.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!