News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

liquid electrical tape??

Started by snz728, September 06, 2011, 04:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snz728

Shopping at Lowe's hardware store I came across a product called "liquid electrical tape".

What do you guys think about using this to paint the back of finished PCB boards to prevent shorts with anything it touches?

Is this a good idea? if so, how about the pot connections and other things too?

here's the product: http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Liquid_Tape_-_Electrical_Insulation

mgwhit

I don't know anything about that product, but another member uses Electrolube.  Check this thread: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=2516.msg20350#msg20350.

cjkbug

I got some when I first started building. I hated it. It was super thick and hard to put on cleanly, it takes forever to dry. I did however like dipping the backs of my pots in the plastic coating for tool handles. I think it's called plasti-dip. that stuff worked great for insulating pots.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

Haberdasher

I bought a jar of it about a year & a half ago.  I opened it up and looked at it.  It was so thick and stringy and gloppy I decided right then I wasn't going to use any of it, because I couldn't imagine how a person would use it in a tidy way without thinning it out first.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jimmybjj

Quote from: cjkbug on September 06, 2011, 06:13:54 AM
I got some when I first started building. I hated it. It was super thick and hard to put on cleanly, it takes forever to dry. I did however like dipping the backs of my pots in the plastic coating for tool handles. I think it's called plasti-dip. that stuff worked great for insulating pots.

Neat, I'm gonna try that :)
Pcbs no longer available

gtr2

I've used it at work for light wire nicks from a shovel scraping an irrigation wire.  It's real messy, but it does do the job.  I'd never use it in a pedal though.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: mgwhit on September 06, 2011, 05:53:15 AM
I don't know anything about that product, but another member uses Electrolube.  Check this thread: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=2516.msg20350#msg20350.

I gotta find a US distributors of this stuff..if that even exist.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

dwstanford

I havent used this stuff but i have used arcrylic caulk mixed with weldbond glue.  You can paint it on and you can dillute it to your desired thickness.  I like to mix black arcrylic paint in with it.  Ive used it a couple of times and it seems to work well.  Ive thought about trying latex caulk mixed with latex paint but havent tried it yet.

slimtriggers

That Liquid Tape is nasty stuff, and the fumes are horrible :P  I've used it on the trace sides of boards to insulate them from the enclosure.  It's, nasty, sloppy, ugly stuff, though.  I don't recommend it.

cjkbug

I got blisters on my fingers!!!