News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2N5457's No longer manufactured hmmmm

Started by darrenw6000, September 20, 2017, 03:40:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrenw6000

I saw a forum post don't think it was here or any of the other guitar pedal forums but it was a while back I just cannot find it now. It was about the shortage of 2N5457's, if anyone else remembers seeing it, is it true?  I've stocked up recently as you can never be sure of these things.

EBK

Probably still actively produced in SOT-23 form.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

WormBoy

Yeah, the SMD parts are still produced, I think. It's the through-hole parts that are not being made anymore, as far as I understood. Stocking up is a bit dangerous ... I suspect some sellers to offer parts that are (almost) out of spec (those will be the ones that will be available the longest). Going SMD is likely a safer bet.

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

WormBoy

Good to hear that they are still being produced. Price is not bad from my (European) perspective. However, Mouser's shipping to the EU is so expensive that there is no point in ordering there for me. The webshops in Europe don't tell you who the manufacturer is; when you order you just get what they want to give you (and then SMD is probably safer).

NFX

Quote from: pickdropper on September 20, 2017, 04:18:26 AM
Central Semi is making them again, they are just a bit pricey.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Central-Semiconductor/2N5457/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv4z0HnGdrLjg9G5E9sLeJqmxdQjOc5RIc%3d

Not heard this, I hope not!
There are a couple of sellers on ebay uk i get mine from which are a bit cheaper than the ones in that link.
Newbury Effects

EBRAddict

MMBF5457 is the SMD part number in SOT-23

Some PCB designers are including the SMD pads on the flip side of the board where the through-hole unit would go.

Govmnt_Lacky

Thank goodness I stocked up on 5952s and 5457s before they went the way of the dodo.  8)

Wish I caught J201s before they went  :-\