News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Photocells for Gigahearts Doubel Ganger?

Started by peAk, September 21, 2017, 08:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

Anyone know of a place in the US that sells the right photocells (Miniature 20K light/20M Dark) for the Doubel Ganger? I haven't used photocells before so I am ignorant when it comes to selecting these.

The Doc BOM has a Futurlec link (PHOTOCELL2A) https://www.futurlec.com/Photocells.shtml but I'd rather not order from there if possible. 

Smallbear, Mouser, Ebay, anywhere that has shipping that I can receive it in a week or two would be fine.

Thanks

trotel

I used some GL5537 LDRs I got off eBay, tested the lot and chose four that has the closest values.  I've built two Doubel Gangers with them and they both sound great.

Perhaps others will also share their experience with their chosen LDRs.

chordball

I have a whole bag full of them and I'd be happy to drop some in the mail for you. I'm just up in Oklahoma.

I never saw any mention of matching them but if you can give me some directions and targets I can try to match some.

Govmnt_Lacky

Pretty sure the LDRs in the Dopp are supposed to be 2M Dark. The 20M Dark are used in the Wob and Flanger

chordball

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 21, 2017, 10:22:13 AM
Pretty sure the LDRs in the Dopp are supposed to be 2M Dark. The 20M Dark are used in the Wob and Flanger

That's what the 2a photocell is. Pretty sure it was a typo in the OP.

peAk

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 21, 2017, 10:22:13 AM

I am looking at the 2.1d Build Doc and it is stating 20klight /20M dark???

Quote from: chordball on September 21, 2017, 09:55:47 AM
I have a whole bag full of them and I'd be happy to drop some in the mail for you. I'm just up in Oklahoma.

I never saw any mention of matching them but if you can give me some directions and targets I can try to match some.

that would be awesome, only thing is I need to confirm now what vaules I even need.

peAk

Ahh....looks like there is a typo in the General Instructions, it states 20K/20M but the BOM lists them as 20K/2M

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: peAk on September 21, 2017, 10:31:29 AM
Ahh....looks like there is a typo in the General Instructions, it states 20K/20M but the BOM lists them as 20K/2M

Just for sanity check, here is what to use in each Lovetone pedal:

Meatball, Dopp, Ringstinger use 20K/2M
Wobulator and Flanger use 30K/20M

The Wob and Flanger originals used water clear GREEN LEDs in certain spots however, I have yet to notice a difference between those and Diffused Green. In most cases, using water clear caused more "noise" than anything.

Good Luck with the build!  ;D

chordball

Any idea what mcd for the LED's? All I have are very low mcd LED's and I assume I'll need something brighter.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: chordball on September 21, 2017, 11:31:30 AM
Any idea what mcd for the LED's? All I have are very low mcd LED's and I assume I'll need something brighter.

I have used the 5mm Green Diffused from Tayda in several builds with great success.

Andlord

Sorry for hijacking this thread but has anybody a good source for 30K/20M ldrs? All onlineshops I checked had ldrs with 10M at the most

alanp

I'd be quite surprised if Smallbear doesn't have some.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

somnif

Small bears 9203 CdS cells are rated 5-20k/20M, which would probably fit the bill.

LaceSensor

small bear do an appropriate one

I must say if there is a typo somewhere, thats my bad

the doppelganger needs 2M dark LDRs

Have fun! Socket and see tbh...