News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nucleon Super Nova

Started by Rockhorst, September 21, 2017, 10:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockhorst

Bit of a shameless plug, but I'm genuinely proud and surprised by this one. I took a Marshall Guv'nor and tweaked the circuit quite a bit. I changed the tonestack to a Baxandall with some clever mods to keep the outer bass and treble frequencies in check and altered the frequency response of the pre-clipping stage. I first made a big unit with a lot of switchable mods to experiment (I dislike breadboards as by the time I've changed a component I've already forgotten how the sound was) and last week finalized the prototype. I'm going to update the build document this weekend. If you want one, check this link ;) I'll give away one pcb for free to the first one to post the two metal songs referenced in the vid.

Big unit with mod boards

Final prototype in one of PPP's less succesful powdercoating experiments

And a video shot with a crappy iPad microphone. Going for a big metal sound here, but this thing can also sing the blues! Riding the volume knob is key to that.
Jackson Rhoads 1 with EMGs (metaaaaaal) into the supernova into a power amp (so no other preamp, the supernova is the pre). Sound quality is not the best, but it's enough to know that this thing can sing, scream and crush.

Philthy

nice build

no video link - so if I say "Sounds of Silence" would I win? ;D

BrianS

Both look great but the one with all the mod boards just rocks. 

mrclean77

Wow - both are nice builds, but the super-duper options one is the bees knees! I love those rotary boards - I would bee tempted to put em in everything, lol