News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Liquid Eternity (Arion SCH1)

Started by Philthy, September 21, 2017, 05:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philthy

My name is Philthy and I'm a chorusaholic.  ;) So when Rockhorst (Nucleon Fx www.nucleonfx.com) offered up a proto of his new Liquid Eternity board I didn't hesitate.
It's a clone of my favourite chorus - the Arion SCH1.
Here is the build in all it's glory. I used a guitarpcb TwoKnobJob so I can have two, switchable Rates .
I had a bit of clock noise from the long runs to the rate pots so I have since shileded the I/O wires. (THe long runs are of course avoided if you use a pcb-mounted pot direct to the board, so this issue is unique to my build).
Sounds great

Rockhorst

That looks nice and tidy! The two knob job is a very welcome feature on this one. I've played with the thought of incorporating it on the pcb, but it's already a big one, so I didn't. Good to see that it can be easily added if need be. I really admire those 80s PCBs like the Arion and Boss ones. Hand drawn and single sided. It took a lot of effort avoiding using any vias on the redesign of the board. There's no particular reason to do so, just like a challenge.

Question: how do you manage to have the DC jack sunk into the enclosure? It looks like it's flush?

Philthy

just a slight countersink on the hole

mrclean77

Awesome build - I dig the stamping and for sure the countersunk DC jack. Great idea on the switchable rate controls.

I had an Arion Chorus when I was in my teens and HATED it. Sold it and for years have heard so many praises about the thing, I finally asked myself, "What's the deal?!". Then I remembered back then I was playing thru a solid state Yamaha amp  :'( I may have to succumb to the urge to build this thing.

Boba7

That looks fantastic!

Do you feel the need to adjust the depth when switching rates?

Philthy

No, there's a sweet spot that works for both a fast and slowish setting
You need to roll off the tone knob to get the Leslie thing going

stringsthings

Very nice!  The purple chickenheads go well with the finish.
All You Need Is Love