News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD - My first PRS

Started by culturejam, September 21, 2017, 07:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

I fought a brave fight against making use of Sweetwater's 48-month 0% financing, but alas, I was overcome with the GAS.  ;D

Been eyeing PRS guitars for ages now, but always found a reason to go with another brand. Ran out of reasons this week.

I liked the look of a certain Custom 24 SE, and there was a demo model (saved me almost $100). Also, been wanting to try the 25" scale length. So .. TL;DR, I bought it!

I've had less than an hour to play it so far, but I'm really liking it. The overall quality and fit/finish is beyond what I expected, to be honest. Flamed top, body and neck binding, headstock veener and binding, and the QC is on point. The hardware is also very nice, even though I gather it's not quite as nice as the USA stuff. The tuners are really smooth.

I've been known to make fun of PRS because I think I lot of their custom shop stuff is the guitar world equivalent to spinnin' rims and hydraulics, but they do make some classy (to me) guitars as well.

Haven't even had time to take my own photos, but here are a few that Sweetwater sent me right after I ordered. The only thing I might want to change is going with covered pickups (purely for looks).
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jubal81

WhoooooWheee. Classy.

+1 on covered pickups. They'll take it to the next level.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jubal81

I just had to go and whooowhee in my head. Now I've got a case of the SCOTS in the brain...

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pickdropper

Quote from: jubal81 on September 21, 2017, 07:32:41 PM
WhoooooWheee. Classy.

+1 on covered pickups. They'll take it to the next level.

Agree on all counts.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jubal81

You know, aluminum knobs would look pretty sharp, too. You could get some of that Cermark stuff and laser mark them...

- David Fair

BrianS

That's nice looking.  I too fell prey to the 48 month financing and got a Trampas Green one like yours and a Zach Myers semi hollow.  I think they are nice guitars.  The finish on both is out of this world.  The tuners on the Zach Myers feel really cheesy but they work well.  The setup from Sweetwater was pretty good also (but from everything I've read they go through the US plant for setup/inspection before they're shipped to dealers).  For the money and if you like PRS guitars i think what you get for the price is fantastic. I'm not sure I am to keen on the pups in either one.  That's about the only partially negative thing I have to say about them.  Hope you enjoy yours.

pickdropper

Quote from: jubal81 on September 21, 2017, 08:25:18 PM
You know, aluminum knobs would look pretty sharp, too. You could get some of that Cermark stuff and laser mark them...

The only thing is that Cermark needs power to work correctly.  I'm skeptical that it'll work with a lower power laser.  I've used it with a 30W laser that seemed marginal with it.  I haven't tried it again since we got the 50W laser at work.  The Thermark paste we had dried out and I haven't ponied up for a replacement.  We tried bringing it back to life with denatured alcohol, but it didn't work right (admittedly, we didn't know the exact ratio).

I really want some of the Thermark tape, but it's pricey.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: BrianS on September 21, 2017, 09:27:11 PM
That's nice looking.  I too fell prey to the 48 month financing and got a Trampas Green one like yours and a Zach Myers semi hollow.  I think they are nice guitars.  The finish on both is out of this world.  The tuners on the Zach Myers feel really cheesy but they work well.  The setup from Sweetwater was pretty good also (but from everything I've read they go through the US plant for setup/inspection before they're shipped to dealers).  For the money and if you like PRS guitars i think what you get for the price is fantastic. I'm not sure I am to keen on the pups in either one.  That's about the only partially negative thing I have to say about them.  Hope you enjoy yours.

A Zack Meyers is calling my name.  Of course, so is a used Korina McCarty somebody I know is selling.
Function f(x)

culturejam

Okay, so now I can make some minor complaints after another 30 minutes of playing. The nut slot for g-string needs to be widened slightly (ping!), and the tone control pot is ever-so-slightly loose.

I think the coil split sounds really good. Probably the closest to a real single-coil sound I've heard on a split humbucker. It still does have some humbucker honk, but it's in the background and not at all overpowering. Both pickups split at once has a nice a sort-of Strat 2/4 position chime but doesn't quite quack. Most impressive. I wonder if this is pickup design or some kind of innovating wiring?

The trem is nice and smooth. I'm not a "whammy bar" guy generally, and I'm thinking of getting a Tremol-No for this guitar so it can mostly be a fixed bridge but floating if I get the notion. What I'd really like is this guitar body shape and finish, but with a fixed bridge (wraparound), and 22 frets. I've got no business with 24 frets, haha. But the neck on this thing is awesome (it's PRS "Wide Thin").

The string tension isn't tight, but also not loose (probably a by product of the scale length). Action is pretty low. It's set up very well. I assume it came pretty good from the factory and then Sweetwater tightened it up.

I too fell prey to the 48 month financing and got a Trampas Green one like yours and a Zach Myers semi hollow. 

Man, I was so close to getting a Zach Myers in the sunburst finish. But I really wanted to try out the longer 25" scale length on the Custom 24. I played a green ZM at our NAMM booth last summer (it was a provided demo guitar), and I really liked it.

Your comment about the tuners is interesting. When I first pulled this one out of the case, the tuners looked kinda cheap. And they feel a little light. But the gear movement is very smooth and they seem to hold tune well (so far).

I'm damn well impressed with this specimen, I'll have to say.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

BrianS

Quote from: pickdropper on September 21, 2017, 09:28:40 PM

A Zack Meyers is calling my name.  Of course, so is a used Korina McCarty somebody I know is selling.

Not sure if you are a lead or rhythm player but if you play a lot of rhythm I would go try one out.  I play mostly rhythm in our church band and while I was practicing with it for this Sunday my hand got really fatigued.  Mine has a thin neck which I like for playing lead but not so much for rhythm.  I didn't have that problem with the SE (it has a thicker neck).  But it is a nice guitar.

BrianS

Quote from: culturejam on September 21, 2017, 09:39:29 PM
Okay, so now I can make some minor complaints after another 30 minutes of playing. The nut slot for g-string needs to be widened slightly (ping!), and the tone control pot is ever-so-slightly loose.

I too fell prey to the 48 month financing and got a Trampas Green one like yours and a Zach Myers semi hollow. 

Man, I was so close to getting a Zach Myers in the sunburst finish. But I really wanted to try out the longer 25" scale length on the Custom 24. I played a green ZM at our NAMM booth last summer (it was a provided demo guitar), and I really liked it.

Your comment about the tuners is interesting. When I first pulled this one out of the case, the tuners looked kinda cheap. And they feel a little light. But the gear movement is very smooth and they seem to hold tune well (so far).

I'm damn well impressed with this specimen, I'll have to say.

Both of mine are binding in the nut.  I did a lot of reading before I bought them and that was a common complaint from several people. 

When I said the tuners on the ZM were cheesy it's the plastic tulip buttons.  They stay in tune fine and I know they have to cut cost somewhere. 

And I will +1 your comment on being impressed with the guitar(s).  They're really nice. 

pickdropper

Quote from: BrianS on September 21, 2017, 09:39:48 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on September 21, 2017, 09:28:40 PM

Not sure if you are a lead or rhythm player but if you play a lot of rhythm I would go try one out.  I play mostly rhythm in our church band and while I was practicing with it for this Sunday my hand got really fatigued.  Mine has a thin neck which I like for playing lead but not so much for rhythm.  I didn't have that problem with the SE (it has a thicker neck).  But it is a nice guitar.

I've played a ZM out at the local PRS dealer many many times.  I like the looks of the Trampas green one, but the Sunburst one on the wall is a better guitar.  They did just get a new Trampas green model in, so I'll have to try that out.

I have a core SC-245 that I love, but there is a part of me debating if I should get a 25" scale PRS if I get another one.  But the 24.5" scale plays sooo easily.  The 245 I have has the pattern neck, which is my preference.  The one I have is nicely thick, but without too much shoulder, which suits me better than ultra-thin or a thick D shaped neck.
Function f(x)

flanagan0718

HELL YEAH. I just got my first PRS too!!! Mine also is a Custom 24. Congrats bud Love that finish!

timbo_93631

Guys, I have a nice set of Stew-Mac gauges nut files that we can mail around if you meed
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

chordball

Sexiness! A PRS is on my wish list. I did put a MannMade bridge on my strat so that's close, right? ;) I had my old trem blocked but set this one up floating and really miss being able to do pedal steel style bends. So thanks for the mention of the tremel-no. I'd never heard of that before and I think that's exactly what I need.