Main Menu

Bending Gauge Tool

Started by JackSkellington, September 22, 2017, 06:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackSkellington

Hey, guys!
I wanna ask you something about this tool:
https://www.musikding.de/Bending-gauge

It allows to bend the component's lead at the right size to fit on the perfored board.
Did someone try the Musikding's one? It is really useful with the stripboard, but just if it is really precise, else it will not useful at all.

Thanks! ;)
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

BrianS

I use a piece of wood that's about 1/4" wide.  Never even knew there was something like that out there. 

pickdropper

I have one like the bending tool shown below.  I do find it useful for certain things, especially Ge diodes where I want to take the strain off the edge of the glass envelope while bending it.

I'm guessing you don't need as much precision as you think.  I've never run into any issues with mine and I tend to be pretty concerned about precision when it's important.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

BrianS

Quote from: pickdropper on September 22, 2017, 08:21:02 AM
I have one like the bending tool shown below.  I do find it useful for certain things, especially Ge diodes where I want to take the strain off the edge of the glass envelope while bending it.

I'm guessing you don't need as much precision as you think.  I've never run into any issues with mine and I tend to be pretty concerned about precision when it's important.

Take Pickdroppers post as gospel.  If you look at what he has done in 1590a boxes I would think he has one of those 1960 IBM computers that are as big as a house in his shop to crunch minute dimensions down to the smallest denominator 😂.

pickdropper

Quote from: BrianS on September 22, 2017, 08:28:09 AM

Take Pickdroppers post as gospel.  If you look at what he has done in 1590a boxes I would think he has one of those 1960 IBM computers that are as big as a house in his shop to crunch minute dimensions down to the smallest denominator 😂.

Unfortunately, the smallest setting on that bending gauge is too wide for most of my resistor spacing on 1590a boards.  :-( 

Those are done by hand.
Function f(x)

BrianS

Quote from: pickdropper on September 22, 2017, 08:31:30 AM
Quote from: BrianS on September 22, 2017, 08:28:09 AM

Unfortunately, the smallest setting on that bending gauge is too wide for most of my resistor spacing on 1590a boards.  :-( 

Those are done by hand.

So now you pass on the secret that your hands are calibrated.  Where can I get training in that area 😀?

flanagan0718

No really where can i buy one of these!?

-Mike-

pickdropper

Quote from: flanagan0718 on September 22, 2017, 08:41:10 AM

No really where can i buy one of these!?

-Mike-

Mouser has them:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/SparkFun-Electronics/TOL-13114/?qs=WyAARYrbSnacy5bPO92d8g%3D%3D&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8biyoJW51gIVUp7ACh0VJQpVEAQYBCABEgISV_D_BwE

You can also find them on Amazon and eBay if you look.  In a 30 second search, I didn't see anything cheaper than Mouser, but it wouldn't shock me if there were cheaper options.

But remember, these are best for wider spacings.  For standard 1/4W resistor layouts like Bean uses, it bends at the end of the component.  These are all a little wider than that.  The one the OP posted looks like it might have smaller starting points, which could be more useful.
Function f(x)

flanagan0718

Good to know thanks Bud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m-Kresol

I have the one from Musikding and it works fine. It has a few steps with the same lead spacing, but different component size. So you could have a 1/8 resistor and a 1n34a diode with the same lead spacing but still have the part centred.
It's only 1€ or so, so just give it a try.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

jubal81

Just had a fun thought.

Never used one of these, but wondering if it might work to run a conductive strip down each side with connections for the DMM - measure as you bend ...
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Andlord

I have the one from musikding but 95% of the time I just bend everything by hand. It does not bother me that much when components are not bent exactly the same and it is just so much faster

287m

why not just use perf/vero cut
just give hole for space
ex
normal 1/4W, give 2 hole, bend
1/8W, give 1 hole, bend

OOT
for me, the art is doing perfboard with bend shape leg resistor. Hahaha

EBK

Quote from: jubal81 on September 22, 2017, 02:18:38 PM
Just had a fun thought.

Never used one of these, but wondering if it might work to run a conductive strip down each side with connections for the DMM - measure as you bend ...
You'd have to let go of one lead to measure accurately, so you couldn't measure well while bending.....  Still, I like this general idea. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

bcalla

I got mine at Jameco.  Sparkfun has them too.  Google "resistor lead forming tool" and you'll find lots of places selling them.