News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

dirtbaby and how to have less drive in the echo

Started by fredmercure, September 27, 2017, 12:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredmercure

Hello eveyone, this is my first post here.
I've  successfully built the dirtbaby, everything's work as expected.
BUT , I wish i could have less overdrive in the echo section. I have checked the components values and it's all fine. So my question is: what components could be modifyed around IC1_A to get a clean level action around the first half of the LEVEL pot.  :o
Thanks for PCB's and all the knowledge this site spreads!

madbean

Upping the value of R2 will reduce the overall gain you get with the Level pot. I would suggest socketing that resistor and try a few values there to get what you want. Start with either 330k or 470k and go up from there.

fredmercure

Thanks @madbean, i swaped this one by a 330k already,  and it gives me a little bit less gain in the pot, but it feels like i lose unity when the level is at 0. (Also i am using a Linear pot in the level section)
thx

timbo_93631

Try running it at 15v or 18v if all your electrolytic caps are rated high enough.  I messed around with a Dirtbaby for a good long while trying to clean in up and the best single change was running it at 18v.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

madbean

Quote from: fredmercure on September 27, 2017, 01:08:12 PM
Thanks @madbean, i swaped this one by a 330k already,  and it gives me a little bit less gain in the pot, but it feels like i lose unity when the level is at 0. (Also i am using a Linear pot in the level section)
thx

Okay you want unity gain at zero and fairly clean up to halfway. Leave your 330k as is, make that next 100k resistor a 330k also then change your level pot to either 250kA or 500kA. That will get you as close as you can.

fredmercure

Quote from: timbo_93631 on September 27, 2017, 02:20:58 PM
Try running it at 15v or 18v if all your electrolytic caps are rated high enough.  I messed around with a Dirtbaby for a good long while trying to clean in up and the best single change was running it at 18v.

Nice thanks for tip timbo_93631. I'll make a voltage doubler and try that too. Also i was thinking about bypassing IC1_A section with a switch around C7.
Thx