News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Reasonable time to ship an order? (First World Problems)

Started by peAk, September 28, 2017, 05:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

In this day and age, when you place an order for components (or anything really), when do you expect that order should be shipped out by?

Mouser - same day, BLMS - same day, smallbear -within a day or two, Ebay - within a day or two.....

What's reasonable to you?

Signed,
Mr. Frustrated

jimilee

With in a day or two, but. I more than 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

teknoman2

Usually same day or two is a reasonable amount of time.
Now the big concern for me at least is when your order is in your hands for (E.U based customers)
Mouser usually take 3 or 4 days after the order.
TME is the fastest and it takes one business day after the order.
Outside EU like OSH, smallbear or Tayda usually take longer which is totally reasonable.

I think when talking about DIY stuff, that most orders are below 100$ shipping time isn't a concern, at least for me.
If you want fast shipping you have to pay for it with all the customs and the taxes.
So I prefer wait a bit longer rather than paying the extra bucks for fast shipping.

Cheers,
Panos

Muadzin

Considering that shipping takes time, any time it takes before your order gets shipped matters too. So unless they have to backorder some parts first I'm all in favor of same day shipping. I fail to see why it should take more then the same day (unless you order after physical store closing time) if you got everything I order in house. I'll let it slide if it gets shipped within a reasonable time, like a couple of days. Maybe they're a one person operation so it takes more time to process an order then with big internet stores, in which case I'd rather have them do it well, then half arsed. In which case, be clear and upfront about on your website. Anything longer, like with backordering parts, being kept informed should be mandatory. I can't speak for others but I find being kept informed to do wonders for my patience.

flanagan0718

Depending on when the order is placed, within 2 days seems reasonable to me. So, if the order is placed after business hours (say after 6 pm) then next day or the day after seems good. Anything longer than that...well might be the last time I order from that company. There are SO many other vendors that sell parts. Granted some only see specific parts or PCBs but If it's their day job (meaning not a hobbyist or a side hustle) to ship parts and PCBs then it shouldn't take longer than 2 daysish.

thesmokingman

having worked inside sales(b2b and limited b2c) before I would say a three business day guarantee would be pretty standard. if you want it expedited, you can always opt for a reasonable cut-off time for same day shipping with some expedited method like next day air etc. companies can easily run themselves ragged trying to get things out the door and it buys the company time for the order to settle (money makes it where its going, they're not calling and cancelling, adding/subbing/backorder status, etc)
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Aleph Null

Generally, I hope for within two days. I can stand three if it's the only place I can find something. If it's built-to-order, that's a horse of a different color; in that situation, I'd want an approximate build time before ordering.

EBRAddict

It depends what their commitment is. Sometimes Mouser promises same day shipping but they don't ship for a couple of days. I usually get my component orders in by Monday so I have them in hand on the weekend, but when they delay it winds up delaying my project.

With small companies I realize it may be one dude picking orders so I'm not going to get worked up about 2-3 days. They aren't Amazon Prime.

When I sell stuff on eBay I always get it in the mail the day after it is paid for. I know when I buy stuff on eBay I hate when the seller sits on it and is uncommunicative.

icecycle66

Rockhorst

For me, same day or within two days feels nice. However, I feel that it should be whatever they commit to in their terms of service. I've just started a little tiny shop and had to think about it. I'm no Mouser or whatever, so I guarantee to shop it out within a business week. If any other shop states the same, I should accept that as is. However, I do hate it when they promise next day delivery and don't. That is a no no. Long story short: keep your promises and all is fine.

midwayfair

Five business days is completely reasonable.

Everyone wants everything right now. Slow your roll everyone.

>ducks<

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

EBK

I remember when everything was "please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery". 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

culturejam

Quote from: EBK on September 29, 2017, 09:14:29 AM
I remember when everything was "please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery".

And also, "Send check or money order to the address below" on that giant blue screen with big white letters. Example attached. Taken from one of my favorite commercials from my childhood:

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

alanp

You aren't allowed to complain about shipping unless you live in a remote place like New Zealand, Serbia, Peru, or the like.  :) :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website