News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How many pcbs can be powered by just one dc jack ?

Started by Yahoo67, October 05, 2017, 02:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yahoo67

I wish to build a multieffet pedal and i plan to daisy chain the power input. I did build a 2 pcb and 3 pcb pedal that way but i wanna try a 10-12 pcb one. I got a very limited electronic knowlege xD. Igot about 20 builds under my belt but this project will be something else ! Will i be able to power them all at the same time ? Should i split the power and daisy chain 3-4 effects so i have the same amount of jacks? Will pedals that got charge pumps be affected ? Sorry if my english is bad ... its not my firts laguage :p

Andlord

It depends on how much current your boards draw. You could check similar commercial pedals and sum up how much you would need and get an apropriate power supply.
Keep in mind that with higher current you have to keep an eye on placement because you could induct noise etc.
Might be a good idea to use shielded wire, with high gain circuts it is good practice anyway

Willybomb

On my pedalboard I run the following off a single 1spot:

Tuner, bad horsey, comp, klon, gainster, phase45, CE-2, mimik, tap, rubadub, buffer, eq w/boost, cabsim, line driver.

In a single enclosure, I've managed to get:
5 dirts in my Leviathan build,
2 splitters, a buffer, a bloviator, a cabsim, and a linedriver in my Endgame build.
Phase45, CE-2, mimik, tap, rubadub in my Stealth.

Droogie's "Nine ways to sunday" build has every 1590g board in a single enclosure running off a single dc jack...

Yahoo67

Cool cool cool :)
I am planning on using the afterlife bacon bits cavedweller hipster rabbithole runt smootie kingslayer jmk ca3080 compresor thcustom equinox 2 reverb guitarpcb apollo tremolo lectricfx flintrock flanger :) all in a hammond console enclosure !

culturejam

Dirt draws very little current (assuming no relay for bypass). It's the PT2399-based stuff that starts to get hoggy. Each one of those chips pulls 20-25mA.  So the Equinox 2 would by itself draw about 45mA (2x PT2399s and an op amp) and then the Cavedweller will pull another 25mA (ish). To be safe, I'd make sure the DC supply is capable of delivering 250mA. A typical daisy chain supply will be well beyond this, so you're probably good.

For overkill, you might consider putting the dirt and compressor on its own jack/supply.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Yahoo67

Thanks for the tips :) i still got a long way to go. I just have my boards populated and a bit of the layout in my head for the enclosure but now i know that its possible. Worst that could happen is having to add dc jacks for the delay and reverb :p all i want is a pedal board for bedroom practice along my pignose amp :)

Andlord

Keep us updated on this one, it sounds like a huge project