News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

BlueShift build

Started by gordo, October 07, 2017, 06:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

Nothing new here but it worked without issues.  A very tricky build and I really don't advise deviating from the docs.  I shudder at the thought of most "A" builds so keep that in mind.  This is a completely stock build so really doesn't need photos.  I leaned in on the original (including using the B**s name) but only out of respect.  If there's a downside to this build it's that all of Kevin's magic is hidden.  This layout is just crazy cool and the board(s) are very pretty.  Unfortunately you can't see them.

This was intimidating and while I jumped right in on the Aion Lab board I let this one sit on the shelf for a bit.  Nothing at all difficult as long as you respect the fact that you need to follow the build order and a few parts that deviate from typical builds (the 1uF WIMA caps are a good example).  Get your ducks in a row and prepare to spend a good number of evenings splitting up build tasks.  Kevin has obviously put a lot of thought into how he put this together so read the docs.

That said, if you've built up a big project then this one follows suit.

I'm putting my house on the market so most of my stuff is in boxes for the next while but I'll dig out my scope and get this thing dialed in.  I have to be close as it sounds amazing as is but the trim pots have a wide sweep.  I probably need to reread the calibration part but the TP contacts don't seem to make sense with the meter readings.  My bad.

Really superb project and hard to describe the resulting sound.  Not too far off the beaten path for chorus freaks but a vague modulation that doesn't really seem to start or stop.  There's no RIP at the top and bottom of the sweep.

Really just too freakin cool.  I'll touch up the top mount screw with a bit of black and white paint to hide it.  It's part of the original and good enough for me.  I used the original bypass method and is totally silent.  On top of that the pedal itself is dead quiet.

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Leevibe

Beautifully done build. I see a ton of work there!

sonnyboy27

That looks awesome. Did you counter-sink the LED? Because I'm really digging it.

czapa tranzystor 2

Willybomb

These dimension chorus builds are nuts.  Great work.

mjg

Looks very classy, inside and out. 

gordo

Thanks guys.  I've looked forward to this build since Aion announced they were going to do it.  Kevin is a lunatic but I'm very glad he decided to plow thru this one.

I got it dialed in.  I'm supposed to be getting the basement ready to show the house so these are secret photos of me goofing off.

This is my beat up old audio generator.  I love this thing.  Was an eBay score from some High School lab somewhere.  Super simple and one of these days I'll build a meter for the output level.

Here's one of the test points where I thought it sounded good.

Here it is after I tweaked it...

If you think you'll ever use it again, this project is a good excuse to pick up a cheap used scope or a cool pc based version.  This thing is a beater but has saved my butt a lot of times.  Think it set me back about $50.
Gordy Power

EBK

Quote from: gordo on October 08, 2017, 03:29:01 PM
I'm supposed to be getting the basement ready to show the house so these are secret photos of me goofing off.
Beautiful.   ;D
If you think you'll ever use it again, this project is a good excuse to pick up a cheap used scope or a cool pc based version. 
I definitely agree.

I'm really digging that countersunk LED detail, by the way. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

peAk

Wow, what a cool build. I wasn't familiar with the original or the clone. Yours looks great and I will definitely be putting this on my to-do list.

Thanks for sharing

TNblueshawk

Necro bump.

Hey Gordo, I just got my board and went over the document and am in the process of ordering any parts I don't have. I was curious to know if you had any other pics you took but didn't post?

I plan to follow the build docs to a T. Do you have any idea what the difference is in the bypass methods? I didn't understand what one did versus the other.

I noticed you mentioned the WIMA caps. What are your thoughts on why one must use those as opposed to other box caps?
John

gordo

I'm on the road for a week but I'll dig up some pix when I get home. The thought behind the WIMAs is to get the smallest 1uF you can. There's not a lot of wiggle room on the boards.
Gordy Power

Bio77

Happy about the necrobump, I really loved this build by Gordo.

I took some picture of the populated boards when I built mine, before boxing, the link is below.  I think Kevin prefers WIMA caps, I think size wise others will fit.  The electos need to be the short ones, however.  Standard 11 mm high caps won't fit.  One of the nice things about this project is the mouser list of parts linked in the build doc.  You can upload the whole list to mouser and then remove the parts you already have from your cart.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=28428.msg275676#msg275676

TNblueshawk

Ok, so space is the issue. Thanks guys.

Bio I actually ran up on your thread after posting and grabbed those pics. Great looking build.

When you say the standard 11mm electro's won't fit do you mean they are too high for board that goes on top?
John

Bio77

Quote from: TNblueshawk on November 27, 2019, 04:50:26 AM
When you say the standard 11mm electro's won't fit do you mean they are too high for board that goes on top?

Yes, too high.  Also, there is no place to bend them out of the way.   

Also, I wanted to add a tip.  I have built two of these and both quit working after being on boards and stomped for awhile.  What happened to both was that the bottom PCB slipped out of the pin headers.  I added some adhesive foam to keep this from happening and they are both working great now.   I bought the pin headers from Tayda, so, that might be the issue.

gordo

Interesting. I'll have to contact the guy that got mine. I bought two sets of boards knowing he was going to want one. Second set is coming up on my build list.
Gordy Power