News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

BlueShift build

Started by gordo, October 07, 2017, 06:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feral Feline

I bought 2 sets of boards, too...

... just so I can build one of each bypass method.

Sucking up as much info on this build as I can while I build up skills and nerve before tackling it. Been a while since I delved deeply into the build doc, but upon re-reading it now, I'm no closer to truly understanding the bypass difference. I understand it in principle... one uses the standard Boss buffered bypass as per the original, so both outputs are buffered and both outputs go through the pre-emphasis/de-emphasis thing. The other bypass skips the pre-emphasis/de-emphasis on the mono/L out. Looking at the schematic, I have a tough time following the "pre-de" thing through. I understand the explanation of how and why, I just can't sort out what's what in the schematic just yet.

Back when I first got into the idea of doing this build, I did spend a lot of time trying to get a 4PDT wired up so I could toggle between the two different bypass modes. Maybe that's possible with a rotary switch (larger enclosure bien sur), but I gave up on trying to flip between bypass types with a 4PDT.

Thanks for the tips in this thread, folks!

Cheers,
FF

Bio77

I'd go with the buffered bypass.  Considering the amount of engineering in this circuit, I'd wager that buffer has some positive contribution to the sound.  Most Aion projects have a true bypass option, but he says in the build docs that "buffered is almost aways better".