News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD...?

Started by madbean, October 07, 2017, 04:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Following my Guild bass thread (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=26335.0) I started think again about how I've always wanted a six string version. Found several good deals on Reverb but I'm still a bit queasy about buying used guitars from unknown sources. I've mostly gotten lucky...but there's always a chance you end up with a twisted neck or something that won't show up on photos. I'd prefer to get something that's going to be set-up correctly at the start.

This Starfire was listed on Sweetwater @ 10% off due to a small blem. So, I figured it was worth a try. And...I'm not totally sure about it yet. The guitar is gorgeous, no doubt. And the build quality seems to be very good. Korean guitars have come a long, long way. But, it's not quite what I was hoping for.

- There's a second blem not mentioned in the listing: looks like a small gouge right at the neck joint by the low E string.
- There's quite a bit of string pulse on the B and E strings when playing but the pickups are not too close...in fact I thought they were too low out of the box. I should try it on a different amp, though.
- There's some flex at the ABR/rosewood bridge when the vibrato is used. Looks like it could be a potential failure point over time. Tuning stability is also not too good with the vibrato unfortunately. Also, a bit of creak out of the spring.

I took some measurements to see what the factory setup is like.
- Low E is a whopping 8/64th at 12th fret and High E is 6/64. But hey...no string buzz! It should be 5/64 and 4/64, resp.
- Thought the nut was cut high but clearance at the 1st fret is  about .03" which is correct, I think.
- Relief appears to be between .02-.03" @ 7th fret (capo at first, pressing on 15th fret).

So, I dunno. I do like the guitar and probably most of the issues can be addressed with a setup (fixing the string height, lubing the nut, etc). The second blem is not a big deal. I'm more concerned about the flexing bridge and string pulsing which would make me consider returning it. Dunno; never returned a guitar. I kinda don't want to...he's a handsome fellow!

Here's the beauty shot.

jimilee

Wow, nice score, it's beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

It's definitely a looker to say the least. But those measurements are way outta whack. I suppose as long as there is no twist in the neck you should be able to set it up nicely. It's just a question of how much work and time you wanna put into it.

bcalla

I bought a 1968 Starfire V last year from a friend (posted here).  It is a beautiful looking and sounding instrument.  I like the finish on yours better because it lets the grain show through.  Also, yours has adjustable saddles, which mine doesn't.  If you can get it into spec, I can't imagine that you won't love it. 

madbean

Quote from: bcalla on October 08, 2017, 08:45:42 AM
I bought a 1968 Starfire V last year from a friend (posted here).  It is a beautiful looking and sounding instrument.  I like the finish on yours better because it lets the grain show through.  Also, yours has adjustable saddles, which mine doesn't.  If you can get it into spec, I can't imagine that you won't love it.

Yeah that's exactly what I was after without having to pay 67/68 prices, haha.

Got the string heights adjusted to spec and now it is really rockin' and still no fret buzz, thank god. This is set up for 11's so it's making a big difference. I guess down the line if I decide the vibrato is more trouble than its worth I'll just replace it with a harp type bridge. Looks like there are only a few attachment screws.

timbo_93631

You could try a roller bridge too, they can really help a Bigsby...

Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

gordo

+1 on the roller bridge.  I put a GFS one on my Harmony copy of a Grestch catseye (never produced although this prototype is interesting because somewhere in the Chinese translation they left the "r" out of Harmony on the inlaid headstock logo) and it works pretty well.  I don't recall if the Starfire has a pinned bridge or not (I doubt it, if it has a rosewood base) but that might be another option if you want to totally destroy your warranty.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

madbean

It actually is pinned (I prefer it that way). For now I think I will try a little grease on the nut and see...something that can be wiped off easy.

Leevibe

I love Guilds. Keep it! Tom Petty would surely approve.

madbean

Quote from: Leevibe on October 08, 2017, 06:35:02 PM
I love Guilds. Keep it! Tom Petty would surely approve.

That's good enough for me then!

Thought a lot more about this guitar and decided I'm being a bit unrealistic in my expectations of it being perfect out of the box. I think that's because I've actually never spent this much money on one. In almost 30 years the most I've ever paid for a 6-string is around $600. Thanks god I'm not in the TGP club where people drop thousands of dollars without a thought. Too nerve wracking for me!

gordo

Yeah, I've had a ceiling of about $300 lately and then fix what makes it $300.  I HATE non-pinned bridges.  Make sure the string slots are cut for the gauge strings you're using and aren't binding.  I like the Big Bends Nut Sauce (mostly because I have such a juvenile sense of humor), as it works VERY well.  I've never been able to keep Bigsby's in tune very well but they're great for that greasy sounding vibrato.  Basically they're really not meant for dive bombing so I have to keep that in mind when I use it.  Not that it stops me if it's a bit of "end of the last tune of the set" mayhem.

Lovely guitar.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

brianq41369

I'd take it over anything made in China, Korea has really kicked their guitar game up. Sure is pretty tho?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thesameage

Also, just bring it to a real tech and have them asses for you. Now that I work in a guitar shop, I've see the magic that can be done by pros who have seen it all.

It does take some time to find a good person...but most issues can be solved.