News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Last Jedi

Started by Leevibe, October 09, 2017, 08:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I just want to see a SW film directed by Kevin Smith that's only about Stormtroopers. Gimmie that and I will die a happy man.

matmosphere

Quote from: madbean on October 10, 2017, 05:37:56 PM
I just want to see a SW film directed by Kevin Smith that's only about Stormtroopers. Gimmie that and I will die a happy man.

This would be a truly amazing thing.

The Lasr Jedi looks promising. I'm very excited about it. Love both of the two new movies. TFA had to many throwbacks, hoping the new one doesn't lean on that as much. Though it being the middle movie and seeing those AT-AT's in the trailer makes me think it'll be more throwback plot.

If they keep this up I'm going to start worrying that Han didn't really die. He was just frozen in carbonite again.

To be fair though, whatever they do I'm sure I'll watch it over and over and think it's great.

mremic01

>> TFA had to many throwbacks, hoping the new one doesn't lean on that as much. Though it being the middle movie and seeing those AT-AT's in the trailer makes me think it'll be more throwback plot.

These were my exact thoughts. TFA had enough great things in it to stand on its own, but it didn't let itself stand on its own. Most of the ships in this trailer look like updated versions of things we've seen before. That makes me worry that it'll have the same issue TFA did.

lars

All I can hear in the opening of the trailer is, "Long live the king!"
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

brianq41369

Muadzin hit the nail right on the head!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

flanagan0718

Quote from: madbean on October 10, 2017, 05:37:56 PM

YES PLEASE!!

brucer

Quote from: culturejam on October 10, 2017, 05:10:47 PM
... I recall sitting in the theater thinking, "Again? Really?"  They had a decade to come up with a compelling story and all we got was a rehash of the first three films. I'll take a new, if imperfect, plot over the same-old-shit any day.

^^^This!  Except that I didn't much like The Force Awakens as a result.  Rogue One was better, for sure, but there have GOT to be some Republic/Empire/Jedi/Sith tales that DON'T involve a Death Star, no? 

Right now I've a horrible feeling that The Last Jedi is just going to be Luke Skywalker mentoring Rey like Yoda did him - with the same "only once before" reflections on a powerful apprentice gone wrong - that inevitably results in another light/jedi vs dark/sith confrontation and happy-ish/melancholy reconciliation/ending ... with some painfully obvious marketing plants (e.g. ready for video game scenes and destined for cuddly toy species) thrown in along the way. 

I'd love to be wrong, mind!

thesmokingman

want to know the difference between TFA and ANH? Rey wasn't a whiney little bitch like Luke ...
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Willybomb

I have somewhere, a tv or webseries, called "troopers", which is very much like "Cops", but... with stormtroopers on tatooine...

matmosphere

Thanks for the reminder Willybomb! How could I have forgotten about this?!

pickdropper

Quote from: Willybomb on October 17, 2017, 07:47:04 PM
I have somewhere, a tv or webseries, called "troopers", which is very much like "Cops", but... with stormtroopers on tatooine...

I love how they all had Wisconsin accents.

"If we have to come back, we're gonna have to shoot ya."
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Willybomb

No!  I've got a different one somewhere!

Willybomb

Sorry, yeah, Pickdropper was right (I thought he was referring to the Clerks one), this is the one I was talking about:

juansolo

Quote from: culturejam on October 10, 2017, 05:10:47 PM
I liked Rogue One maybe because it wasn't yet another "let's blow up the Death Star" plot. Two was plenty, the third (TFA) was too much. 

I liked TFA overall, but I recall sitting in the theater thinking, "Again? Really?"  They had a decade to come up with a compelling story and all we got was a rehash of the first three films. I'll take a new, if imperfect, plot over the same-old-shit any day.

Totally agree with this. It's just a reboot of the first 3 films designed particularly to tug hard on the nostalgia strings. Rogue One I thought did a good job of basically being a prequel. It turned the opening crawl of Star Wars into a movie. A war movie... Which is part of the name, so that's ok.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Muadzin

Quote from: thesmokingman on October 17, 2017, 03:19:31 PM
want to know the difference between TFA and ANH? Rey wasn't a whiney little bitch like Luke ...

Ever met a teenager?

I'll take a whiney little bitch over the biggest Mary Sue in Hollywood movie history ANY day. Not even fan fiction writers dare to make their mary sues that perfect as Rey was. And I've read a LOT of fan fiction.

As for Rogue One, I've not seen it, but I've read the synopsis, and what struck me as a huge failing was that they tried to explain the exhaust port weakness from ANH. It's like how Star Trek Enterprise tried to explain how Klingons went from smooth foreheads in TOS to ridged foreheads in the movies and other series. Everybody knows it was because of new makeup designs and budgets. Just leave it at that, but no, they had to come up with some complicated Augment storyline. Similarly with the exhaust port. There had to be a backdoor, otherwise there would be no boom for the Death Star. Every hidden fortress has a secret backdoor that leads to the Evil Tyrant's demise. Otherwise there wouldn't be any point to the movie. And its not like it was easy for the rebels because they got slaughtered out there. 2 out of 3 trench runs got decimated, Luke's wingmen either got smoked or bowed out, and if it weren't for him using the Force he would have missed as well. But, nerds being nerds, they have to explain away every little plot detail. For everything has to make sense to a nerd (to which I count myself as well). And since everyone working at SW these days is basically a fanboy, they felt they just had to explain away this plot detail.