News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

[SOLVED]-VFE Switching Board - Alpha Dog debug

Started by fair.child, October 10, 2017, 10:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fair.child

Hi folks,

I just completed the Alpha Dog and VFE switching board today. I am afraid that this project will turn to fail. I hooked up to the MXR DC Brick and I tried to turn on the pedal. Suddenly, the smoke came out from the switching board when I turned on the switch. Immediately, I took it off.

So I decided to think another best way to hook up the pedal. I tried to hook up the IN, OUT, V+ and GND like regular madbean 3PDT wiring. It didn't work out and my whole MXR DC Brick went off. I'm guessing this is not going to work out as I planned.

I'm looking for help and any direction to debug this since this is my first VFE Pedal. I do have experience building DM2, Sharkfin, Boneyard, and others. This is just very nerve wrecking project with the new power supply system.

I will upload some pictures of my build on the next post.

Boba7

Sorry I cant help but I've had some bad luck with an MXR brick putting out way more than the announced  9v, like 11v, even 12v. To the point that it killed a charge pump in a Fatpants, and almost killed a Klone. Very very annoying.
(That thread pretty much sums it up: https://www.google.fr/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/guitarpedals/comments/6bw1mc/mxr_m238_iso_brick_power_supply_problems/)
Could well be the power supply unit and not the pedals.

I've never built the VFE projects but Im sure others will soon be here to help.

fair.child

Thanks, Boba7. I found out the issue. There are two silk marks show PWR and I jumpered those two. Those are the reason I got the PWR and GND shorted. So the switching works now which it's great and verified. Now it comes to another issue. When it plugs in, no sound coming out. I will try to debug it with audio probe tomorrow. I have spent the whole day to build this and my wife isn't happy with what I'm doing  8)

Also, I heard the relay switching (click) when it gets pushed. Bypass sound works, just the IN doesn't work. Any hints for the audio probing. Where should I start with the probe?

fair.child

Okay, it works well now. I have found out that I was missing the 220n caps near the LM308. It's rocking now and very nervous to drill it. Very cool pedal, I love how the controls working out well. The switching is amazing so far. After reading more seriously, I can see that Peter did put a lot of work on it.

gordo

I love stories where the good guy wins!  Congrats on the fix, glad to hear it's working. It's a fun pedal.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

fair.child

Quote from: gordo on October 11, 2017, 07:05:33 PM
I love stories where the good guy wins!  Congrats on the fix, glad to hear it's working. It's a fun pedal.

Thanks, Gordo. I'm tempted to build another one for my bandmates :) Hopefully, Brian will allow me to order the Alpha Dog again. I have found this is the best pedal so far with 6 controls on 1590B. I still have Pale Horse to build as well.