News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Vomit Comet, Leslie cab in a box

Started by diablochris6, October 13, 2017, 08:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diablochris6

After a heap of prototype boards and redesigns, I finally finished my Leslie-ish circuit! You can read a little more about how it works here. Basically, the audio splits at 796 Hz. The low end goes through tremolo and vibe circuits (anything under 80Hz is unaffected), and the high end has simulated Doppler effect and cabinet resonance with a PT2399 chorus and then a tremolo and vibe circuit. The two pathways can run on one LFO to be synched or can run on independent LFOs. Each LFO can ramp between two speeds, and the ramp rate is controlled by trimpots (they are accessed by the two holes between the speed knobs). It has stereo outputs that can run summed mono signals, one output for high frequencies and the other for the lows, or 100% output of one signal and 50% of the other. There is a slight tick to the LFO, but I bet it would be eradicated with a 470u cap in the power filtering stage. At the levels I play at, it isn't really noticeable, but I'll really take a look at it later. For now, I'm gonna enjoy this beast!

For extra fun, I used three 1776 relay bypasses, one for the bypass and two for the LFO ramp switching. This allows me to use arcade buttons for extra cool factor. For the enclosure, I designed the graphic in Inkscape, printed it out on a photocopier, and transferred it to a powdercoated Hammond enclosure by rubbing acetone on it. The toner just slips right off the paper and onto the box!

Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

jubal81

That is seriously amazing. Well done, bud. Any chance we're gonna get a shot as these PCBs?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Jules

Fantastic work, looks great!
I too would love the opportunity to have a crack at building one myself.

somnif

Is the mild scratchy-ness from something in your effect chain, or is the 2399 being a bit over-driven? (and as a corollary, does it use the pin 7 green LED trick?). Or is it just an inherent part of the effect.

I'm just curious. It sounds quite nifty as is.

Spacebass

Impressive! I need one of these. Im in too for the pcbs, sure you send one of these to Scofield and you become next boutiquer of the famous! it sounds as good. Congratulations

mjg

Very cool.   Obvious that you've put a lot of work into this.

Andlord

diablochris6

Quote from: jubal81 on October 13, 2017, 08:33:19 PM
That is seriously amazing. Well done, bud. Any chance we're gonna get a shot as these PCBs?
Thanks. Of course I'll get some PCBs made. I'll probably do so once I or a beta tester figure out the values to get rid of the tick.
Quote from: somnif on October 14, 2017, 12:36:31 AM
Is the mild scratchy-ness from something in your effect chain, or is the 2399 being a bit over-driven? (and as a corollary, does it use the pin 7 green LED trick?). Or is it just an inherent part of the effect.

I think it could either be the overdrive I'm playing through, iPhone quality video, or the noisy tubes in my amp. I'm thinking it's the overdrive. I have played this pedal with no other effects and don't hear any PT2399 clipping.
Quote from: Spacebass on October 14, 2017, 01:49:54 AM
Im in too for the pcbs, sure you send one of these to Scofield and you become next boutiquer of the famous!
Scofield is a big guitar hero of mine. That would be cool...
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Andlord

Quote from: diablochris6 on October 14, 2017, 07:02:26 AM
Thanks. Of course I'll get some PCBs made. I'll probably do so once I or a beta tester figure out the values to get rid of the tick.
Awesome, looking forward to this!

BrianS

Awesome as always.  I'm in, as usual, when you do a group buy on this. 

midwayfair

Was that Gymnopodie in the middle of the video?

somnif

Quote from: diablochris6 on October 14, 2017, 07:02:26 AM
Quote from: somnif on October 14, 2017, 12:36:31 AM

I think it could either be the overdrive I'm playing through, iPhone quality video, or the noisy tubes in my amp. I'm thinking it's the overdrive. I have played this pedal with no other effects and don't hear any PT2399 clipping.

Excellent, I was hoping that was the case. What a lovely effect.

Philthy

Most excellent
Looking forward to the pcb

peAk