News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Have you guys ever looked inside a Landgraff?

Started by mremic01, October 16, 2017, 08:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mremic01

http://store.ishibashi.co.jp/ec/pro/disp/1/img/34/sub_06-6053447265_l.jpg

The build quality is shockingly awful. For $439.99 new? I wouldn't pay more than $30 for one. These things can't possibly be gig-worthy? In just this photo, I'm concerned by:

- sockets on the SPDT with heatshrink to hide the fact that they're likely only held on there by solder
- 30-50% of the components socketed, including one flying lead that looks like it's only connect by sockets
- poorly cut perf that looks like it's mounted with 3M tape?
- standing resistors whose leads look ready to short out on each other
- socketed clippers that just hang between the board and switch

How are these things not failing left and right?

Govmnt_Lacky

What is it that P.T. Barnum allegedly said?....

I do wonder what their return rate is though  ::)

Betty Wont

Wow. That's some creepy Dr Bronner's soap shit right there.

pickdropper

Man, the mojo is getting all over the place on that thing.

It looks like he spent more time on the writing.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

EBK

Yes, but ignore all of that stuff, and this thing looks quite good!   Wait-- nevermind.  The op amp isn't fully seated in that socket either.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Adam_DIY

I'd be really annoyed to spend a ton of money and open it up to see build quality of that calibre.  I've only been building for 2 years and I'd be too embarrassed to send something like that out.

gordo

Interesting.  Yet you look at the detail and care used in the switch wiring.  Maybe the return rate accounts for the price.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Ralfg

Thanks for sharing this, I'm completely blown away at the sloppy mess in there. Wow.
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

EBK

I confess that I've actually built one of these a long time ago.  It's in my to-be-rebuilt pile because I'm not proud of my early build quality, and my crappy Sharpie labeling is nearly worn off now, but I suddenly feel ok letting people look at it before I put it back on the pile.   :P

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

mremic01

Quote from: EBK on October 16, 2017, 09:20:09 AM
I confess that I've actually built one of these a long time ago.  It's in my to-be-rebuilt pile because I'm not proud of my early build quality, and my crappy Sharpie labeling is nearly worn off now, but I suddenly feel ok letting people look at it before I put it back on the pile.   :P

This one looks nicer than the real thing.

I can totally understand sloppy builds when you're just starting, but the serials for these things are in the high 2000s. It's almost like effort was put into NOT improving.

mremic01

Quote from: flanagan0718 on October 16, 2017, 11:13:45 AM
Quote from: mremic01 on October 16, 2017, 08:02:42 AM

For $439.99 new?

I'm sorry WHAT!?!?!

Never underestimate how stupid guitarists can be.

thesmokingman

that has a little something for everyone ... oddly cut perfboard, point to point component wiring, 90 degree bends in solid core wire, insulation where it doesn't matter, high quality caps with junk resistors, socketed parts in a production piece, stand-up resistors and laid flat resistors ... short of the drilling pattern being askew this couldn't touch more of my OCD
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

EBK

For me, the best part is that these are just slightly modded tubescreamers, but the people who bought them after a long time on a waiting list (yep  ???) insist that they are somehow magical and in no way comparable to a tubescreamer!  ::)

And, just so you know I'm not making this up:
https://reverb.com/item/501615-landgraff-dynamic-overdrive-2013 ("His custom order pedals are gone over a little more and he uses 4% silver solder for more touch sensitivity. ")  I hope none of you read that while sipping a beverage....

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: EBK on October 16, 2017, 11:41:03 AM
And, just so you know I'm not making this up:
https://reverb.com/item/501615-landgraff-dynamic-overdrive-2013 ("His custom order pedals are gone over a little more and he uses 4% silver solder for more touch sensitivity. ")  I hope none of you read that while sipping a beverage....

Some things that caught my eye....

"The way he builds these pedals are truly a lost art!"

It was probably lost for a reason  ::)

Also, I am guessing the additional $300+ dollars in the asking price (on top of the parts and workmanship costs) were for that AWESOME box swag  ;)