News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Have you guys ever looked inside a Landgraff?

Started by mremic01, October 16, 2017, 03:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-Kresol

I don't know what to say. The swirl paint job is nice, but no labelling? side mount jacks? Who needs a battery? Why would you solder a socket to a switch that is just standing free in the middle of the enclosure and then put non soldered legs into the socket?

However, considered all the cables going back and forth, the wiring is quite nicely done with the right angles and stuff. Still not even worth 50$ for me. After 40 builds on vero, I'd invest in a pcb layout the latest. It's neither expensive nor complicated for a build that size.

at least we learned about the magic of silver solder, which is standard RoHS compatible solder! I still prefer PbSn 40:60, but I mean, I don't need touch sensitivity
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

mremic01

After some digging, it turns out that the sockets are supposed to be for easy modding by the buyer. Landgraff used to sell kits to tweak the thing. I don't see any for sale now though, so why keep making them that way? Clay Jones cloned the thing without all the sockets and mojo parts and his go for $1000+, so maybe the touch sensitivity is really in the goop.

BRB, gonna build a Landgraff clone that doesn't suck.

EBK

Here's a better vero layout you can use. 
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/02/landgraff-dynamic-overdrive.html?m=1
(Or just use a tubescreamer board from anywhere, if you don't mind losing the circular symmetric tone-shaping cavity array feature )

Edit: I feel like I'm starting to sound too mean....  Toning it down a bit.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Willybomb

I wouldn't buy one based on all self-righteous religious rubbish on inside.

playpunk

"my legend grows" - playpunk

EBK

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

mremic01

Quote from: Willybomb on October 16, 2017, 08:53:54 PM

How about:

BUILT BY ABDUL ALHAZRED (NECRONOMICON 3:1666)
DYNAMIC OVERDRIVE
#666666666666666666666666666 6-6-66
ELDER GODS AMPS & PEDALS
WHERE CTHULHU IS LORD!
MADE FOR ARKHAM ASYLUM
CTHULHU IS COMING SOON!!!
PHTAGN☭
PYONGYANG, NK
SHUB-NIGGURATH BLESS BEST KOREA!

Betty Wont

Quote from: mremic01 on October 16, 2017, 09:22:05 PM
Quote from: Willybomb on October 16, 2017, 08:53:54 PM

How about:

BUILT BY ABDUL ALHAZRED (NECRONOMICON 3:1666)
DYNAMIC OVERDRIVE
ELDER GODS AMPS & PEDALS
WHERE CTHULHU IS LORD!
MADE FOR ARKHAM ASYLUM
PHTAGN☭
PYONGYANG, NK
Ramen!

Leevibe

It's touch sensitive. Don't touch anything or somethings going to shunt to ground!!

stringsthings

In all seriousness, this is one of the worst gut shots I've seen in a long, long time.
I would be embarrassed if this was one of my builds, and I've built some pretty shoddy circuits!
All You Need Is Love

somnif

Religious people always weird me out a bit, but I honestly have no idea how I would react to meeting someone who insists on writing (3:16) after their first name. That is a level of zealotry that I cannot really comprehend.

And that they continue the writing under the components as well! Just... why?!? I'm not exactly proud about ANY of my gutshots, but if I build a pedal that looked liked this I'd weld the damn thing shut, let alone put crap on the inside to encourage reading. Boggling.

I just imagine giving the thing a good stomp to pump up a lead line and knocking half the components onto the floor. I wonder if random AM interference picked up by an open amp cable circuit could count as a solo. Quick, someone get John Cage on the line, I've got a brilliant idea for his next work...

mremic01

Quote from: somnif on October 16, 2017, 11:44:46 PM
That is a level of zealotry that I cannot really comprehend.

It's just a kind of virtue signaling. Or showing how much of a super fan you of are of your favorite sports team because it's so baked into your identity that everything has to be about your fandom. Writing all this crap all over the pedal guts is pretty clearly something Jesus spoke out about in Matthew 6:5-8, but no one's going to write those verses all over a pedal because they're not sexy enough (that special showy-religious kind of sexy). It's especially unsexy when the bible says you shouldn't be doing something that you really really want to do in Jesus's name.

Well, I finished the LDO clone on a highly modified tonepad etch. Sounds like a TS but with more gain on tap. I like the asymmetrical silicones much better than the LEDs, so I'm not sure why Clay Jones went with those.

oip

gutshot is kinda amazing i have to say, proper method to madness situation.

(though this is so good i'm considering writing it on the back plate of next build)

QuoteBUILT BY ABDUL ALHAZRED (NECRONOMICON 3:1666)
DYNAMIC OVERDRIVE
ELDER GODS AMPS & PEDALS
WHERE CTHULHU IS LORD!
MADE FOR ARKHAM ASYLUM
PHTAGN☭
PYONGYANG, NK

and maybe this can go on the front

Quote4% silver solder for more touch sensitivity

reddesert

I wasn't paying attention to effects when the whole Landgraff / Clay Jones storm happened, and the TGP / cork-sniffing attitude to guitar effects has always puzzled me. I guess Landgraff was active from about 1999 to 2015 - he passed away a couple of years ago - and I wonder if, having started building in this construction style, he was effectively trapped in it by his audience. Most likely, he just kept doing whatever he was used to, but I bet if he had started making pedals with all modern board-mounted components on a nice green PCB, people would have said the old ones sounded better than the new.

Over on TDPRI, someone complained about buying a Wampler delay ("designed and hand-built in the USA" or something), and finding a surface-mount PCB.  I don't know what this person was expecting - a point-to-point wired delay pedal? Guitarists.

askwho69

Joyo has better build quality than that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk