News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Total Recall powered by Strymon Zuma

Started by JC103, October 18, 2017, 04:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JC103

I know these power supplies just came out rather recently... I've started to wonder if the 24v center positive daisy chain output could power a Total Recall safely? It's rated at 1000mA fyi.

Zuma:

https://www.strymon.net/products/zuma/

m-Kresol

I haven't seen any info if this is AC or DC. The current capability should be more than enough though. From what I've gathered, the 24V output goes along with another small add-on power supply for more outputs.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

JC103

I sent them an email and they got back to me fairly quick. Long story short they don't recommend it as it was never designed to run pedals, just to daisy chain their other units. I think you can link quite a few together, up to 6 by the looks of it. It is 24v DC center positive, but only has one stage of filtering. The 9, 12, and 18v taps have an extra filtering stage between them and the 24v DC (rails?). They mentioned that they did test this and found it to work, but mentioned that it could be noisy depending on the pedal and that it voids the warranty if anything went wrong in the process.

LaceSensor

no idea about that, but you can double up the isolated outputs and use a polarity reversing cable.
(12+12, 18+9, 12+9 at a push)

the DMM only needs 100mA

It wouldnt be elegant but it would work.

Heck, if you are prepared to modify your Total recall you can run it off 18v with only the polarity reverse cable.

JC103

I'm trying to avoid purchasing the voltage doubler and polarity reversal cables. In the past I have found them to be problematic, ie: finicky... don't bump them. It would work of course, but I do have the EHX wallwart. Getting very close to finishing a big pedalboard revision and am nearly done. I just sold my voodoo labs supplies and went with the Zuma for the 500mA specs. Hoping to get a few THCustoms Tube Drivers in there before the end of the year. Without the "courtesy AC plug" on the VL PP2+ I may need to find room for a power bar... trying to avoid that too lol.

madbean

Just a reminder: if you want to run the TR on 18v center positive you need to omit R57 and use a jumper instead. Otherwise you are going to lose too much voltage for the regulator to work properly. The LM7915 will need -18v to regulate to -15v.

LaceSensor

Quote from: JC103 on October 20, 2017, 05:08:24 PM
I'm trying to avoid purchasing the voltage doubler and polarity reversal cables. In the past I have found them to be problematic, ie: finicky... don't bump them. It would work of course, but I do have the EHX wallwart. Getting very close to finishing a big pedalboard revision and am nearly done. I just sold my voodoo labs supplies and went with the Zuma for the 500mA specs. Hoping to get a few THCustoms Tube Drivers in there before the end of the year. Without the "courtesy AC plug" on the VL PP2+ I may need to find room for a power bar... trying to avoid that too lol.

TBH you can solder up your own cables easily and make them very robust and incorporate the polarity reversal in one go.

Alternatively, make a small voltage box for the purpose, so its hardwired, and labeled appropriately. This can be hidden easily, and make in like a 1590A for example.

either is more elegant than a power strip if you really want a clean look to your pedalboard :)

JC103

Thanks for the tips fellas, much appreciated. Good stuff to think about for sure.