News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Switching PS are noisier?

Started by pietro_moog, October 26, 2017, 01:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pietro_moog

Hi guys. I'm looking for a new power supply for my pedalboard.
I see there are 2 types of PS: regulated and switching. It seems to me that switching types are smaller but noisier, do your experience confirm this theory?

m-Kresol

switching PSUs can have interference with charge pumps in pedals, if the PSU is poorly executed.

There are many good options out there that are cheap too. Building one is likely not the way to go. I did it, and should just have bought one. commercial ones are smaller, safer and usually offer more options. Just saying  ;)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

EBK

Properly filtered and shielded, a switching supply should not be noticeably noisier that a non-switching supply. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

WormBoy

Quote from: pietro_moog on October 26, 2017, 01:48:14 AM
I see there are 2 types of PS: regulated and switching.

The switching ones should also be regulated (I would not use an unregulated power supply for your pedals). There's switching power supplies and power supplies that use transformers. If you buy one that is specifically designed for guitar pedals, a switching supply should be fine. If you buy a generic one (from your local electronics shop), it will be noisy. To be able to use a generic one I had lying around, I built myself a little 'power conditioner' (inductor, caps, regulator) that works great. The switching ones will deliver more current at the same size, so they are generally a good choice. For my pedalboard, I use a transformer-based supply that I built myself, just because I can  ;D.

sonnyboy27

I believe the Strymon and Truetone CS series are all switching power supplies. I've had no issues with any of my pedals using the Truetone CS-12 and I'm running a couple charge pumps in there. Definitely recommend the Truetone stuff.

jubal81

Quote from: sonnyboy27 on October 26, 2017, 09:02:23 AM
I believe the Strymon and Truetone CS series are all switching power supplies. I've had no issues with any of my pedals using the Truetone CS-12 and I'm running a couple charge pumps in there. Definitely recommend the Truetone stuff.

Second the recommendation on the CS-12. Working flawlessly for me. Quiet and never any issues working with charge pumps.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair