News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD - Jackson RR24 1990

Started by Rockhorst, October 28, 2017, 07:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockhorst

I've been hunting this guitar for years, finally found one in absolute mint condition for a steal! (600 euros, which is about $650 right now...in mint condition I think this could fetch $1000 second hand). This is a Jackson Rhoads RR24 from 1990, one of the first to be produced in their Japanese factory. I'm really amazed that after 27 years, the wing tips are unscathed. This is now the oldest guitar in the collection (of 14) There was some gunk on the frets, but two light passes with 0000 steel wool reveiled frets about as shiny as they get. There's a weird design choice with the binding: there's binding along the full length of the neck and headstock, but it's black! So near invisible ::). I had a spare EMG pickup lying around, so I spray painted it yellow and popped it in to give it that extra touch :) I've got two more Rhoads models: a 2001 RR1 and a recent cheapo RRXMG. The build quality of this RR24 is miles above the RRXMG and very comparable to the RR1. I'd say they can almost rival each other in quality, the RR24 being a bit lighter, which is nice.

Enough talk! Picture time

Now, who will join me in developing silicon sleeves for pointy guitars and taking it to kickstarter hahaha? I'm gonna have a fit if I ever bump this thing into something, cracking the finish. That's the thing with these guitars. To me they are about the sexiest guitars in existence, but so so so fragile...

pickdropper

Those MIJ Jacksons are great guitars.  I have a Soloist that I really like now that I changed the pickups (the stock ones were awful).
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Leevibe

That is unreal condition. I like what you did with the pickup. It totally works.

stringsthings

I also like the yellow PUP.  It fits so well, I thought it was stock at first glance.
All You Need Is Love

culturejam

That's so metal I can smell the AquaNet from here.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

mjg

+1 for silicone guitar sleeves.  The guitar I finished a few months ago already has chips on the pointy bits.  ::)

Nice looking guitar, I agree that the pickup colour really works.

Rockhorst

Quote from: pickdropper on October 28, 2017, 07:56:18 AM
Those MIJ Jacksons are great guitars.  I have a Soloist that I really like now that I changed the pickups (the stock ones were awful).
I'd rate the changes of owning a soloist somewhere in the future as very very high :) there's a 92 up for sale in the neighborhood, but I'm at the moment, there's no cash available for obvious reasons :)

pickdropper

Quote from: Rockhorst on October 29, 2017, 04:44:59 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on October 28, 2017, 07:56:18 AM
I'd rate the changes of owning a soloist somewhere in the future as very very high :) there's a 92 up for sale in the neighborhood, but I'm at the moment, there's no cash available for obvious reasons :)

They are nice.  Just make sure to take out the stock pickups, set them on fire and then bury them somewhere deep in the woods where nobody will ever find them.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

brianq41369

Nice, my cousin bought the same model from same year & played really well but pickups would squeal like a banshee at high volumes, definitely a good catch, makes me wanna say " heavy f-in metal!!! enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk