News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NPD! Apetone Cascadia

Started by Bret608, October 30, 2017, 07:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

So, I was lucky enough to have this stunner show up at my house last week. Thanks again to Jason for letting me lend my ears to the development (even if it was in the really early stage when the circuit was still more a G2-type)! Anyway, I feel the need to spread the enthusiasm as this is hands-down the best low- to mid-gain drive I have ever heard. Besides the uber-powerful EQ, what really makes this circuit special is the harmonics. In my experience, you just can't get this kind of rich, interesting harmonic content from a lower-gain drive such as a TS-type. You might be able to get that from a higher-gain drive or distortion like an OCD, but then you're not going to be in the same realm in terms of character. It's really fun to play and encourages you to rock out on chords for extended periods. At higher-than-bedroom volumes, it blooms into natural feedback in the best possible way. Anyway, we are lucky to have this exist just in DIY-land for the moment, so I hope everyone who is able will build one!

juansolo

I have one also and can only echo what he says. Belting thing.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

selfdestroyer

Same thing here.. I took the proto off my board and replaced it with this kick ass laser etched finished pedal and its been an "always on" pedal for the past 2 weeks. This pedal literally took 2 of my previous pedals off my board. This thing covers my low gain/cleanish and my mid gain/dirt. I am super happy with this pedal and hope many others get as much play  time as I do from it.

Cody

Leevibe

Man, that is one heck of a handsome pedal. Crap. I feel like I need one.

cajone5

Welp... you sold me... just placed my order.  :-X

Droogie

After swearing I was never going to build another OD, I too have succumbed and ordered.
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

Bret608

I agree with what Cody said--when I play through this, I find I'm more or less leaving it on the whole time. Trust me, you do need one! I feel like we should do a "post your favorite settings" thread or something once more folks have built theirs...

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Frank_NH

Just ordered a PCB.  I'm all about low to medium gain overdrives for classic rock and modern country.  Now, I just need to get the parts I don't have from Smallbear!   :D

jubal81

Quote from: Frank_NH on November 01, 2017, 08:51:40 PM
Just ordered a PCB.  I'm all about low to medium gain overdrives for classic rock and modern country.  Now, I just need to get the parts I don't have from Smallbear!   :D

Funny you say that. I'd like to hear someone who can play country through this thing. I only have a few country tricks in my bag, but I have a feeling this thing would be perfect for that, too.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

bsoncini

Damn. Dont really need another pedal like this but you just sold me. Just ordered one.

Can we expect more pedals in the future from apetone?

Frank_NH

Quote from: jubal81 on November 01, 2017, 10:53:16 PM
Quote from: Frank_NH on November 01, 2017, 08:51:40 PM

Funny you say that. I'd like to hear someone who can play country through this thing. I only have a few country tricks in my bag, but I have a feeling this thing would be perfect for that, too.

Modern (alt) country is in many ways a lot like 70s southern rock (a la Lynyrd Skynyrd), so a bit of overdrive but not as much as classic rock.  I like to have some low, mid-range, gritty overdrive for country solos and for rhythm guitar on southern rock-type songs.  I think the Cascadia should fill that role nicely - looking forward to building it!

juansolo

Govmnt_Lacky

@juan

What size are the lock washers you use for the In/Out jacks? Also, where do you get them?

juansolo

Jason built this one so he'd have to answer that.

I am also building one though, so it'll be interesting to see where I go with that ;)