News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

WIP — Verifying Total Recall, Etcher's Paradise version

Started by zombiesonore, October 30, 2017, 04:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombiesonore

Hi everyone,
I will use this thread to make a small log of my adventure in building the Etcher's Paradise version of the Total Recall delay.
When I've seen Brian's post about this one I've knew that I'll build it someday. It looked so big! Very impressive. And when Paul gave me the opportunity to get the Xvive MN3005 at a bargain, I knew time was arrived.

1st Step, Etching the board.

For this one, I've stop using ferric chloride and tried sodium persulfate. It works great. A little bit slower but great results.
First board was a fail. I've just made a knew revelator mix and maybe it was too light.
This is the result after more than 1 hour of etching:

2nd board is perfect. 20 minutes of etching:

bsoncini

Impressive.

I've tried etching before but don't have the patience. I used to stay late where I worked at that point to use the drill press. Then I said fuck this I'll build it on Vero or find a PCB. But It is definitely a useful skill to have.

I salute your effort. Keep us informed. I'd be interested to know in the end how many hours you put in.

zombiesonore

QuoteI'd be interested to know in the end how many hours you put in.

In france we have a saying that goes "when you love you don't count." ;-)

zombie_rock123

In the UK we have the phase "ffs how many fucking holes" ;D

On a serious note I love the phrase and thanks for sharing it!
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

bsoncini

I know the saying. Often DIY is not about saving time or money.

I'm not French but live in paris, am married to a French girl and I am in the process of becoming a French citizen (lance la Marseillaise versione Serge Gainsbourg)

Leevibe

zombiesonore

Next Step, drilling end tining

I used to drill my boards with a small hand-driller but for this board, which have the biggest count of holes I've ever done, I've buy a small drill stand. It went well but it was a bit tedious...

After a bath of liquid tin:

I've also had the time to solder the 17 links:

That's it!

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Gorgeous, I would learn to etch if I didn't't have to drill the holes too. I am envious of you.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

zombiesonore

zombiesonore

I had to take a break on this one for other projects and because I didn't have all the components.

Board almost fully populated:

And everything hooked up:

I don't have a 24V DC supply, Banzaimusic was out of stock, so I breadboarded a 9V -> 25V supply with an LT1054.
I plugged everything in, and... the clean sound was here but nothing else.
Debugging started.
First I noticed something very disappointing: I've used an LM7815!!! I don't understand how I could have made that mistake...
After soldering the LM7915, I still didn't get -15V at its output. So, let's start checking for solder bridge.
I found one lousy one! Just one! And... tada! -15V and delay at pin 4 of IC7!
After that, some biasing and It's alive! Alive!

kaeisy

Congratulations! It was worth the effort, wasn´t it? A really great sounding delay imho. Thank you Brian for making this possible.

reddesert

Awesome. I salute you.

I'm with Jimi - I keep thinking "It would be cool to etch a board and I'd only have to keep one extra bottle of chemicals around the house." Then I remember that even a modest circuit needs 100 tiny holes drilled and I come back to earth.