News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbaby Tap version cancelled

Started by madbean, November 02, 2017, 05:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I only mentioned this one in passing a few weeks ago but since there was a response to it I'm announcing the project is cancelled. The problem is the Taptation chip. There's no way to put it nicely: it kinda blows. I'm actually cancelling any future project involving the Taptation as well. I've tried a few prototypes of different delay designs with it now and I just cannot get a good result. The max delay is too long to make it sound good at all tempos (it should be limited to 600ms not 1sec) and the tempo and subdivision LEDs make ungodly noise when used. I tried a couple ways to solve the LED noise issue but it's just not working (the DBTap used transistors to drive the LEDs thinking it might help but no). Actually, I pulled out every PT2399 trick I know over several prototypes (including using a compander and other stuff) and it's just not good enough to warrant a project.

So, sorry it's not happening. Too many downsides to it.

timbo_93631

le monde tourne encore, ne pas être troublé maître bean
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

madbean

Quote from: timbo_93631 on November 02, 2017, 06:02:33 PM
le monde tourne encore, ne pas être troublé maître bean

C'est la vérité!

Yahoo67

Yay du francais :)))
You know what they say....
Des fois du gagne et des fois tu perd !

matmosphere

Hirti

Bummer, was really looking forward to that one.  :'(

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

midwayfair

m-Kresol

Brioche! Baguette!

on a more serious note: too bad it won't happen, but better to stop at a reasonable time rather then pursue it for nothing. Hope your next projects turn out more successful.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

matmosphere

zombiesonore

Qu'est-ce qui ce passe sur ce forum?!!?? French-mania?

madbean

madbean