News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

different honeydripper problem

Started by pinkjimiphoton, November 11, 2017, 11:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Thanks for the insight, terribly sorry for your loss. I lost mine as well earlier this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pinkjimiphoton

thanks jon. this one was tough.

the benefit for buddy cage went off well, snow kept our numbers down, but we still raised him a decent amount.

i used the dripper at the gig. this sucka is a current hawg ;)
low voltage results in no envelope... but ya get this kinda sick nasal zappa tone that's kinda hip ;)

now positions 1 and 4 are strongest. 2 and 3 work, but not as easily. ya gotta slam 'em. so i'm gonna keep messing with it. ;)

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: jimilee on December 10, 2017, 07:28:42 AM
Thanks for the insight, terribly sorry for your loss. I lost mine as well earlier this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my sincere condolences jimi. hard thing, living this life. healing vibes bro.

pinkjimiphoton

ok, had a play again yesterday with this, after ordering an ass-load of different opamps and a crap load of lm137/600's to play with. also added the correct charge pump specc'd in the build doc, as i had used something else (i forget) which may not have supplied as much current.

my findings..
i replaced the 13x00 with a 600 and it didn't really make much difference.
so i started subbing 13700's in it, and found some worked better than others. big surprise, right?
once it started quacking better,  i left the chip in place and kept moving.

i had been using tl074's and 084's in the circuit. seemed like the filter was stuck almost as i'd described.
before trying a bunch of lm324's, i tried tl064's for the two quads.
BINGO
quack achieved. easily. very similar to the original one i built.
still not satisfied, and with several celebratory binggers in me, i tried swapping out the dual oa.
tried 553x, tl06/7/82, 4558, 1458 etc.... no bueno.
i remembered a chip my bud paul <insonicbloom> had turned me on to for a high gain wah based distortion (it actually makes a pretty killer wah) the ha7458 or something like that... i believe it was a rail-to-rail opamp. i dunno if it was higher or lower gain, but NOW all 4 voicings are distinctive and sensitive and factually sound as good or better than the original.
for extra fun, stick a SWAH in front of it and a fuzzface after. holy sheet dude...
this with the autowah front end is the epitome of sick-as-f*ck... it sounds like a talkbox. and screams. i really reccomend this stupid pedal trick for max formanty goodness..

but an.... shit, maybe ha14758? i will check when i get back to my bench.. sorry its something i am unfamiliar with ;)..yways...

it kicks total ass now. doesn't need a fuzz in front of it like the original one (but that autowah makes it scream)

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: midwayfair on December 09, 2017, 09:06:41 PM
Sorry to hear about your bandmate, Jimi. :(

sorry jon, just saw this all these years later. the benefit wasn't a bandmate per se, he was the pedal steel guitarist from the new riders of the purple sage and others, fighting leukemia at the time. we raised him enough bread to get him back to hawaii, where he could do a final tour. he's gone now, nice guy. just wanted to thank you for the kind words. peace, bro