News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Suggestions

Started by flanagan0718, November 13, 2017, 02:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

A friend of mine asked for a Cab Simulator / Loud Box. That's what I think he wants anyways. He wants to "load his head so he can record with it" <- his words.

-Is he in fact looking for a cab sim or is it something else he needs?
-Anyone built one that they prefer?
-any good links to one of these?

Thanks Guys!
-Mike-

mremic01

>>> -Is he in fact looking for a cab sim or is it something else he needs?

No! He needs something to put a load on his amp like a speaker would. Using just a cab sim would... uh... cause problems.

He needs an attenuator. Some of them have built in cabsims. Check out these:

https://www.tedweber.com/gadgets/attenuators
http://www.palmer-germany.com/mi/en/PDI-03-Speaker-Simulator-with-Loadbox-8-ohms-PDI03.htm

drezdn

mremic01 has covered most of my thoughts. I'd just like to add that as far as I know the only DIY cab sim pedal is the runoff groove condor.

flanagan0718

Quote from: mremic01 on November 13, 2017, 02:51:23 PM
>>> -Is he in fact looking for a cab sim or is it something else he needs?

No! He needs something to put a load on his amp like a speaker would. Using just a cab sim would... uh... cause problems.

He needs an attenuator. Some of them have built in cabsims. Check out these:

https://www.tedweber.com/gadgets/attenuators
http://www.palmer-germany.com/mi/en/PDI-03-Speaker-Simulator-with-Loadbox-8-ohms-PDI03.htm

Cool thanks. I've never had this question come up before.

So the correct "terminology" would be Speaker Simulator or Load Box?

mremic01

Quote from: flanagan0718 on November 13, 2017, 03:32:18 PM

These are very different things. Amps need an impedance load, or bad things will happen that destroy the amp. Normally, speakers provide that load. To record silently, you can put a load box (or an attenuator) on your amp's output. Attenuators are often used to crank power tubes. You can run the amp at high volume settings to get the power amp nice and hot, and then have the attenuator absorb part of the output, giving you less volume through your cab.

A cab/speaker sim is just a filter that mimics the frequency response of a cabinet. For example, a 4x12 will cut certain frequencies and not others. A 4x12 cab sim would cut those frequencies so that the signal it puts out looks like it would coming out of a real cab.

The Palmer unit I linked to above combines the two. It has a load so you can plug your amp into it without the need for real speakers. Then you can run the cab sim part of the circuit straight into an interface or PA system. If you just ran your amps output straight into something else, it would be very bad. Things would let out the magic smoke. And even if it worked, it would sound bad without the cab sim.

flanagan0718

Quote from: mremic01 on November 13, 2017, 07:08:11 PM
Quote from: flanagan0718 on November 13, 2017, 03:32:18 PM

These are very different things. Amps need an impedance load, or bad things will happen that destroy the amp. Normally, speakers provide that load. To record silently, you can put a load box (or an attenuator) on your amp's output. Attenuators are often used to crank power tubes. You can run the amp at high volume settings to get the power amp nice and hot, and then have the attenuator absorb part of the output, giving you less volume through your cab.

A cab/speaker sim is just a filter that mimics the frequency response of a cabinet. For example, a 4x12 will cut certain frequencies and not others. A 4x12 cab sim would cut those frequencies so that the signal it puts out looks like it would coming out of a real cab.

The Palmer unit I linked to above combines the two. It has a load so you can plug your amp into it without the need for real speakers. Then you can run the cab sim part of the circuit straight into an interface or PA system. If you just ran your amps output straight into something else, it would be very bad. Things would let out the magic smoke. And even if it worked, it would sound bad without the cab sim.

Awesome. I found a few things and read some info on the Palmer unit and a couple other like it. The info you posted was super helpful in directing me to the info I was looking for. Thanks man!