Main Menu

Moodring 2017 demo

Started by madbean, November 14, 2017, 09:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

jimilee

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

BryGuy

Sounds great! What's different in the 2017 version vs. 2015 version? I've got the 2015 pcb on my workbench and was just about to start populating the board. When I have time anyway lol.

madbean

Quote from: BryGuy on November 14, 2017, 12:13:45 PM
Sounds great! What's different in the 2017 version vs. 2015 version? I've got the 2015 pcb on my workbench and was just about to start populating the board. When I have time anyway lol.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=26750.msg259040#msg259040

thomasha

very nice! some cool modulation going on

madbean

Quote from: BryGuy on November 14, 2017, 12:13:45 PM

Just to elaborate some more (because I would not dissuade you from building the 2015 version). You can incorporate most of the changes very easily. From the 2015 schematic:
Space pot is now 25kB
D2 is yellow diffused instead of green (subtle but slightly improved difference)
R23, R24 are now 1k
R37 is 1k5
R5 is now a 50k trimpot. R3 was changed to 1M in conjunction with this.
The I/O stuff is now centrally located at the bottom of the PCB for convenience but that's not important.

The bigger change is the Dwell control which now has a JFET buffer in the path (something I've been experimenting a lot with in delays). Use the schematic below as a guide. You'll make the pot 100kB, R31 4k7 and then replace C27 with the buffer circuitry. Overall it gives the dwell a bit more character, is a bit louder but remains controlled without the self-oscillation running away on you (you can hear this at the end of the demo).

gordo

This has all the qualities of a perfect video.

• Good sound quality
  • No cheezy stand up comedy routine and clever banter
  • Guitar is in tune
  • Knob twiddling tells the whole story
  • Right to the point
Put me down for one of these.  I really don't need another reverb but this thing sounds SO good and the last person I showed the original 'Ring to made off with it.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

madbean

I really appreciate that compliment Gordo. I still feel like my demos could be a lot better. The problem is I don't plan ahead what to play. I played the perfect demo this morning before the camera was rolling  :(. I kinda wish I had used a different guitar. That was my SG with P90s which is really aggressive sounding so I had to compress the audio a bit to compensate.

If I just had a bit more space in my office I could have a "demo station" set up all the time with good lighting and the perfect mic setup. But, it just isn't feasible for the time being. I've got shit EVERYWHERE in here now...it's pretty ridiculous. Hundreds of built PCBs tucked away in places I don't even know what all I have.

Ralfg

If that's messy then I don't even want to know what I am.
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

BryGuy

Quote from: madbean on November 14, 2017, 04:33:08 PM

Just to elaborate some more (because I would not dissuade you from building the 2015 version). You can incorporate most of the changes very easily. From the 2015 schematic:
Space pot is now 25kB
D2 is yellow diffused instead of green (subtle but slightly improved difference)
R23, R24 are now 1k
R37 is 1k5
R5 is now a 50k trimpot. R3 was changed to 1M in conjunction with this.
The I/O stuff is now centrally located at the bottom of the PCB for convenience but that's not important.

The bigger change is the Dwell control which now has a JFET buffer in the path (something I've been experimenting a lot with in delays). Use the schematic below as a guide. You'll make the pot 100kB, R31 4k7 and then replace C27 with the buffer circuitry. Overall it gives the dwell a bit more character, is a bit louder but remains controlled without the self-oscillation running away on you (you can hear this at the end of the demo).

Yeah I might try it. Thanks!

Leevibe

I had no idea that circuit had so much range. That is seriously an incredible reverb. Fantastic demo. I really like the look of that stomp too.

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

blearyeyes

That is very cool sounding. Don't know if it is just me but it seems like a bit more control and nicer sound. I love the 2015 but might have to build one of these. I did a modulation mod but with the bricks modulation not sure if I'll use it much. Patiently awaiting the Super version. Demo is great Brian! Let's you hear the Moodring without all the distractions like an out of tune guitar and severely limited playing skills!  Very nice!