News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

EHX Memory boy. Is it me or is it a very crazy delay?

Started by garfo, November 17, 2017, 04:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garfo

I got this EHX Memory Boy. The guy who sold me thought there was some problem with it, me, on the other hand can't tell cause I have never had one.
Truth is, with the Depth Knob turned all the way down, the delay sounds pretty good to me. Once who introduce the Depth, specially on Chorus Mode it goes really crazy, and it's not subtle, it's a lot.
Is it supposed to be like this?

culturejam

There might be a trimmer for setting the max modulation depth. I recall that the Memory Toy has one of these.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

diablochris6

I have one. It's the version that was made right before they came out with the Memory Toy and Deluxe Memory Boy. That oscillation depth is very touchy. I would only move it a few hairs to get an appropriate amount of warble. I've never messed with the trimpots inside but just kept it at very low settings.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

cajone5

Been a while since I had one but I had the same experience... touchy touchy touchy.  Never looked for a trim to adjust it.

culturejam

I  might be wrong about the trimmer. The Toy has one because it doesn't have an external depth or speed control. I think both are trimmers. But it's totally possible that the Boy doesn't have such controls.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

matmosphere

I've got a deluxe memory boy, the modulation is completely wacko. It's almost unusable after a certain point.

Really I just wanted a useable tap tempo delay, which it's fine for, but the whole modulation side is not very useful.

garfo

After seeing some videos on youtube there's definitely something wrong with the modulation section. The Depth is very touchy, but in my case is the rate that is crazy. It has a very slow rate and it oscillates violently. There's no use for that.
I messed with all the trims and nothing affected the modulation.
I'm starting to believe that whatever IC controls the modulation is ruined and I might need to replace it, but I have no idea which one.