News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Battery options for onboard buffer

Started by claytushaywood, November 17, 2017, 01:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

I recently got a new strat (american standard in aztec gold!) its a beauty, unlike my old strat with the swimming pool route this one is routed H/S/H.  I am wanting to install a jerry garcia tiger style preamp in this guitar and I need to power it somehow- the 9v fit under the pickguard between the neck and middle pickup on the last guitar but I dont think that's gonna work now. 

Im wondering if anyone has tried any alternative powering options for a 9v circuit?  maybe some different batteries?  I dont believe the circuit pulls much current at all so i'm not too worried about cost of replacement.  maybe three cr2032's?  would i just kill those all the time?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Muadzin

I'd just rout a battery box on the backside. Easiest solution really as I find removing pickguards to get underneath the electronics a bitch. Plus any excuse to pull out my router. ;)

somnif

Another option could be a lithium polymer "flat" type battery. They're 3.7V so you'd need 3 regulated down to 9V, but it would allow you to just route out a little microUSB port on the rig for recharging, rather than needing to actually take off the faceplate to change power supplies. Would require a bit of electrical engineering, such as the regulator and the USB charge circuit, but that's the fun part.

In regards to button cells, CR2032's are about 200~mAH (rated to 250 but most are made on the cheap so assume lower). Depending on the IC you use current draw on the chip is somewhere between 2mA and 10mA, so lets say 5mA as an average.

That would give you ~40 hours "on" time assuming perfect conditions. Maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less, but that would be a rough estimate.

reddesert

I have one of the Red Witch micro pedals with a rechargeable battery - I have the Scarlett Overdrive, which is a Tubescreamer. (I traced it and you can find my photos and schematic on freestompboxes.) Anyway, the way it works is to have a 3.7V lithium battery with a charge pump used as a voltage doubler, which brings the operating voltage close to 6V (doubled less two Si diode drops). So that's an unconventional option. You could make it a voltage tripler or perhaps use Schottky diodes to get the voltage above 6V.