News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A couple quick builds

Started by Boba7, November 19, 2017, 04:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boba7

So I just made myself a couple pedals for my acoustic/electric rig that I've been using for recent gigs (acoustic signal split between PA and amps)

First is a modded Lavache. Mods include a 10n to ground at the output (parallel to the diodes), a 100pf cap between collector and base, a bigger input cap (100n), no boost switch but a reduced R4 to get a bit more gain. Gain pot is C500k and I used a 2N3904. It's my favorite Lavache. Such a simple and good sounding circuit.

Then there's a Lectric Zirconia (Diamond comp) running on 18v (the charge pump is right below the DC jack). A stunning compressor, I love it. And the board is just perfect!
Having an EQ bypass switch is great as I find the EQ even neutral affects the sound a bit. Actually with an electric guitar I can't hear much difference, but with an acoustic plugged in I can definitely hear it.
I may try to solder a pulldown resistor so engaging/bypassing the EQ doesn't "pop".
It's my favorite optical comp, (I prefer it to the Afterlife and Mictester Really cheap compressor). I really like the tilt EQ too.

I didn't spend much time on the enclosures, I like a simple look, and I needed to play them quickly so... A bit frustrated I screw up the "CPR" stamps but oh well... :)

jubal81

Beautiful work. Those guts are impeccable!
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

EBK

Seems weird to say this, but the minimalist labeling is beautiful.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Boba7

Thanks guys!

Forgot to say I put a center detent pot for the EQ on the comp and I really like it! I dont build much these days but really enjoyed making these.

oip

both so nice!  that soft switch makes me happy too, really want to start using those

selfdestroyer

These look fantastic. Agree with the simplistic aesthetics.

Boba7

Thanks guys! :)

I changed the comp pot to a A100k, it allows a bigger range of very soft compression, which I like.
Also changed a couple caps to get a flatter bass response with my acoustic. Its probably gonna be always on before eq and DI in my acoustic rig!

Dminner

There is something magical about your labeling. I don't know if it is the font choice or what but I truly love the way your pedals look.

fredwreck

Boba7

Quote from: Dminner on November 25, 2017, 06:38:44 AM
There is something magical about your labeling. I don't know if it is the font choice or what but I truly love the way your pedals look.

Thanks! Means a lot coming from you... :)