News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Calling all hands for personnal support in the DC/Balatimore area.

Started by icecycle66, November 26, 2017, 09:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecycle66

Calling all acquaintances, friends, friends of friend, nice people who are out there.

There is a high probability that I will be moving to the Baltimore-DC area in the next couple months. 
I've never lived in this area before and I'm not sure what I'm getting into.

Is there anybody out there that can help me with this transition?

EBK

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

EBK

The two biggest differences I can see right away for you:
Weather: hot and HUMID in the summertime, cold in the winter (generally, not a lot of snow, but every 3-4 years we get a blizzard or two to make up for it).

Politics: Government aside, the people tend to be very liberal.

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Govmnt_Lacky

If you will be more DC area.... everything is driven by the government. Businesses, traffic, etc. The beltway will probably be a culture shock in itself.

I believe Jon (midwayfair) is in the Baltimore area too so he may be able to elaborate more on that.

I am further south.... thank goodness  ::)

matmosphere

I live just inside the beltway in VA.

What is bringing you here, work I'm gurssing?

icecycle66

Yeah.  Work.  I'm being put on special assignment to a particular three letter government agency that is headquartered on Fort Meade.

matmosphere

I think that puts you closer to Baltimore, which is probably good for youl. Baltimore is a pretty cool city imo, more to do than DC. Or at least a better music scene from what I can gather.

And Baltimore is much more affordable to live in than DC.

midwayfair

if you're going to be working at Meade, try to find a place in a better part of GlenBurnie or southwestern Baltimore right at the county line. The neighborhoods will be nicer and they won't cost a fortune like Anapolis or Joward County (thoughColumbia isn't too bad in places). My cousin live in Crofton whe he worked at Meade more and it was nice and quiet.

If you're going to be in Baltimore, let me know :)

somnif

As someone living in Tucson who has Family in Virginia (just outside DC), its a bit of a change to say the least.

The Humidity is like the worst days of monsoon season most days of the year. The heat is typically a bit lower (obviously) but it saps your will to live a bit till you get used to it.

Mosquitoes and other assorted insects are more common.

They tend to actually have seasons, unlike AZ. Fall is quite different from Spring is quite different from Summer. Its rather nice really.

Winters are extreme compared to what we have out here, but fairly mild by most standards. Bit of snow now and then, cold-ish weather, the usual. Buy a jacket and pack something other than shorts. Also, rain. Lots of rain, and not just in August.

And, it is nigh on impossible to get decent Mexican food (by our standards). On the plus side I rather enjoy southern/soul food, and that is well represented, but god help you if you want a decent enchilada or tamale. 

madbean

I grew up in N.W. DC and I love the city. I would live there now if an average human being could afford it. It was a little more sane in the late 80's early 90's.

No advice other than take full advantage of all it has to offer. The museums, the Metro, all the other sites. It is an amazing place. The weather is generally pretty good although it does get pretty humid in August/Sept. The winters are pretty nice. Course, it's been so many years since I lived there all this might be different now.

EBK

Quote from: somnif on November 26, 2017, 03:24:53 PM
And, it is nigh on impossible to get decent Mexican food (by our standards). On the plus side I rather enjoy southern/soul food, and that is well represented, but god help you if you want a decent enchilada or tamale.
True.  But, we've got authentic Ethiopian food out the wazoo.   ;)

matmosphere

Don't get me wrong, I love DC, I just think Baltimore is great too and would be closer and more affordable.

One of the coolest things about this area is how incredibly diverse it is. There is some great food around. Lots of good Pho.

When we first moved here I went to a community college with students from something like 150 countries at it. It was a nice change from where I grew up. My kids are going to get exposed to so much cool stuff and  that just you can't get many other places.

DC is unfortunately painfully expensive and the traffic is no fun. The metro is plagued with issues these days and keeps getting more and more expensive. But it's just like everywhere else, you gotta take the good with th bad.

There are places that have much worse weather than here, but there is always two or three weeks each year that are unpleasantly humid and gross. It never gets much below thirty in the winter though.

matmosphere

Quote from: madbean on November 26, 2017, 04:17:28 PM
I grew up in N.W. DC and I love the city. I would live there now if an average human being could afford it. It was a little more sane in the late 80's early 90's.

No advice other than take full advantage of all it has to offer. The museums, the Metro, all the other sites. It is an amazing place. The weather is generally pretty good although it does get pretty humid in August/Sept. The winters are pretty nice. Course, it's been so many years since I lived there all this might be different now.

Bean drop me a line if you're ever in town and I'll buy you a drink as thanks for running the digital oasis that is this forum.

ShredderNemo

Quote from: EBK on November 26, 2017, 04:40:47 PM
Quote from: somnif on November 26, 2017, 03:24:53 PM
True.  But, we've got authentic Ethiopian food out the wazoo.   ;)

YESSSS, I was in DC a few weeks ago and the Ethiopian food was unreal!