News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A bit of ornamental fun

Started by culturejam, November 28, 2017, 06:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

I saw some empty plastic ball ornaments at the craft store the other day and decided to make some bead-filled ornaments with the little one. But then I thought, what if I fill one with all the parts in my breadboard bin that I know I'll never actually use again? (I always say I'm going to reuse the resistors, but with my free time ever-dwindling, I just don't bother hunting anymore).

Turned out pretty good, if not damn heavy. I threw just about every kind of part we use to make pedals in there, including germanium diodes and transistors, a BBD, a VCA, an OTA, op amps, transistors (including JFETs), knobs and switches, and even some surface-mount digital stuff. I think I maybe forgot an inductor, but I think I have some small axial ones I can cram in the top.   
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

madbean

All those parts and it doesn't even light up?

But, very cool indeed!

EBK

Quote from: culturejam on November 28, 2017, 06:14:40 AM
I always say I'm going to reuse the resistors, but with my free time ever-dwindling, I just don't bother hunting anymore
Kids love doing this kind of stuff, especially if you call it a science experiment or let them dress up as a robot.  ;D
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

pickdropper

Hey Forrest,

Can I borrow an LM3046 IC and a 4n7 cap?

Thanks,

Dave
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

timbo_93631

I mean, that's a hell of a grab bag PIF right there!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

alanp

One day, you'll be short a BBD, and you'll look at your paperweight...

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU..............

Nicely polished :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

stringsthings

That's really cool!  LM3046's are useful for some synth circuits.
All You Need Is Love

drezdn

EBK

Next, you should make a variant of the classic orange-clove pomander...

...using a bunch of TO-92s.   :P
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

drezdn

Make sure to file the numbers off the ICs next time, so your work will be harder to copy.  ;)

jubal81

Mmmm Mmmm

I can almost smell it now ...

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

culturejam

Quote from: EBK on November 29, 2017, 04:58:28 AM
Next, you should make a variant of the classic orange-clove pomander...
...using a bunch of TO-92s.   :P

My mom used to make these when I was a kid. But without the TO-92s. :)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects