News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aion will have 25 new projects in 2018

Started by Yahoo67, December 01, 2017, 08:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muadzin

Quote from: aion on July 04, 2018, 07:46:00 AM
Yep, 20% off everything through the weekend, and I ended up getting 6 new ones done in time for the sale. I'm really proud of the HM-2, and the updated Refractor (Centaur) should turn some heads since it's the first DIY project to correctly implement the buffer <-> true bypass switch from the KTR. Enjoy :)

Isn't the Klon buffer basically the whole point of the damn pedal? Without it you're basically left with yet another overdrive pedal.

Quote from: somnif on July 05, 2018, 01:20:36 AM
Its fun, in its own way. Use something with mid-powered humbuckers (the Swedes these days swear by Gibsons but the pedal destroys all tonal definition so all you need is fairly quiet with decent output) and the cheapest amp you can lay hands on. Grow your hair out and shred like its 1990.

There was shredding in the 90's?  :o

I always thought that the 90's was the decade that killed off the lead guitar player. And even bands that still had them dialed it down significantly.

somnif

Quote from: Muadzin on July 05, 2018, 06:31:48 AM
Quote from: somnif on July 05, 2018, 01:20:36 AM
Its fun, in its own way. Use something with mid-powered humbuckers (the Swedes these days swear by Gibsons but the pedal destroys all tonal definition so all you need is fairly quiet with decent output) and the cheapest amp you can lay hands on. Grow your hair out and shred like its 1990.

There was shredding in the 90's?  :o

I always thought that the 90's was the decade that killed off the lead guitar player. And even bands that still had them dialed it down significantly.

Eh, 1990 wasn't REALLY the 90's yet. It was 1989 part-2. And this is Swedish Death Metal we're talking about, Nirvana's wave of destruction couldn't really hurt them, down in the depths of whatever glacier they were hiding under.

AllenM

Shout out to Aion on the new 125b projects - love the layouts, features and the new documentation - the addition of the spreadsheet BOMs - ordered 10 PCBs and I cant wait to see what else you add to this series!

**also like that the BOM list currently available parts for items that are hard to find**

AllenM / MadTone fx

Muadzin

Quote from: somnif on July 05, 2018, 06:41:26 AM
Eh, 1990 wasn't REALLY the 90's yet. It was 1989 part-2. And this is Swedish Death Metal we're talking about, Nirvana's wave of destruction couldn't really hurt them, down in the depths of whatever glacier they were hiding under.

If Nirvana could destroy a whole genre and end the reign of shredders, doesn't that mean that its music kicked more ass then all death metal bands combined?  :P ;D

Rockhorst

Quote from: Muadzin on July 05, 2018, 01:31:14 PM
Quote from: somnif on July 05, 2018, 06:41:26 AM

If Nirvana could destroy a whole genre and end the reign of shredders, doesn't that mean that its music kicked more ass then all death metal bands combined?  :P ;D
The first wave of Swedish death (say, Entombed) coincided with Nirvana, but the second wave (starting with At The Gates) peaked POST Nirvana, so no ;) Also, Nevermind came out in '91, but so did Black Album, Painkiller, Rust in Peace...great metal year.

What the difference between the first and second wave? First wave: HM-2 into a Peavy Bandit (no, not just any cheap amp, that one). Second Wave: HM-2 into a Metalzone into a Bandit...Yes, really...The ultimate tone killing sick 2-in-1 someone need to build: an HM-2 with a MT-2 in one box.

somnif

Quote from: Rockhorst on July 05, 2018, 02:44:24 PM
The first wave of Swedish death (say, Entombed) coincided with Nirvana, but the second wave (starting with At The Gates) peaked POST Nirvana, so no ;) Also, Nevermind came out in '91, but so did Black Album, Painkiller, Rust in Peace...great metal year.

What the difference between the first and second wave? First wave: HM-2 into a Peavy Bandit (no, not just any cheap amp, that one). Second Wave: HM-2 into a Metalzone into a Bandit...Yes, really...The ultimate tone killing sick 2-in-1 someone need to build: an HM-2 with a MT-2 in one box.

"Left Hand Path" was recorded using a Peavey Studio Pro 40W. It broke sometime between the first and second albums, when they started using the Bandit. (I have no idea if it would honestly make any difference beyond mojo, I'm not Swedish enough to tell)

Rockhorst

Quote from: somnif on July 05, 2018, 03:44:12 PM

"Left Hand Path" was recorded using a Peavey Studio Pro 40W. It broke sometime between the first and second albums, when they started using the Bandit. (I have no idea if it would honestly make any difference beyond mojo, I'm not Swedish enough to tell)
Glad to see I'm not the only Swedish metal nerd here (not Swedish either, talking about the genre). The Bandit stayed in use though, as I've got the story from At The Gates' Slaughter of the Soul if I'm not mistaken.

In Flames stepped up the game and went with 5150s once their budget allowed.

somnif

The ultimate tone killing sick 2-in-1 someone need to build: an HM-2 with a MT-2 in one box.

Can I just say, I'm actually a little shocked that the MT-2 has so little DIY presence online. I can find 1 single-sided transfer (which apparently has errors) and that's it. No vero layouts, no OSHPark attempts, just this glorious relic of webdesign's past: http://web.tiscali.it/boxsmt2clone2005home/index.htm

I mean, I know its a terrible pedal you can pickup for 20$ on ebay, but its not like the DS-1 is magnificent and you can find a dozen versions of it's board. Cloner's whims are fascinating!

vinylkey

I need to get myself an Aion board to build...

Those new 125b projects look amazing. Easily the best documentation for effect PCBs that I've seen around.

Aleph Null

125Bs look awesome. I'm definitely in the top-mount-jack camp.

Also, those have to be some of the most detailed drill templates I've ever seen! Should make designing graphics a breeze.

Muadzin

The fall is usually always preceded by a peak first.

QuoteWhat the difference between the first and second wave? First wave: HM-2 into a Peavy Bandit (no, not just any cheap amp, that one). Second Wave: HM-2 into a Metalzone into a Bandit...Yes, really...The ultimate tone killing sick 2-in-1 someone need to build: an HM-2 with a MT-2 in one box.

Never heard of any of those bands. Probably because I don't listen to anything that has any grunting, if there's no singing it's just noise to me. And probably also because I was more busy listening to Nirvana at that time.  :P

Seriously though, I find Nevermind a far heavier album then almost every extreme metal album. Individually every metal song will kick Teen Spirit's ass. Painkiller, to name one, is infinitely heavier. But overall Nirvana kicks metal's ass. Because you can't stay full bore heavy, angry and aggressive all the time. Dynamics are not a dirty word and Nevermind has dynamics in abundance. Which is why each time Kurt kicks in the fuzz he sounds heavier then anything coming from Sweden around that time.

Quote from: somnif on July 06, 2018, 11:06:56 AM
I mean, I know its a terrible pedal you can pickup for 20$ on ebay, but its not like the DS-1 is magnificent and you can find a dozen versions of it's board. Cloner's whims are fascinating!

I reckon its because the DS-1 is at least usable stock and can shine when being modded. Plus it has this whole MIJ versions were better then MIT thing going. Whereas the MT just sound awful in almost every setting stock and only becomes usable when modded. But you're right, why clone a pedal that you can pickup for basically nothing as well and then mod into something good just as easy, if not more so?

somnif

Must say, though, I'm tempted to attempt a HM-2-into-MT-2 board design after I finish this current distortion i'm working on. I'll call it "Bad meets Worse" and just laugh at it. Just need to figure out where to source dual-gang 50k rev.log pots from.....

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

aion

Quote from: stringsthings on July 09, 2018, 10:42:45 PM
Aion, any updates on the Deluxe BMP?

That was one of the ones I designed right before I decided to change over to the 125B designs so I ended up scrapping the one that was in progress. I originally did it for a 1590BB but I think I can squeeze it into a 125B. I'm planning on this one coming out this fall, before or around Thanksgiving.

stringsthings

Quote from: aion on July 10, 2018, 02:16:59 PM
I'm planning on this one coming out this fall, before or around Thanksgiving.

Most excellent!  Way back in the late 70's, I owned a brand new Deluxe BMP.  So I'm really excited
about building a clone.   The BMP side is relatively easy.  I haven't been able to clone the Soul Preacher side.
By most standards, it's an awful compressor.  Noisy and super squishy.  The opposite of transparent.
But since I'm familiar with the sound, I like it.  :)
All You Need Is Love