Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD -335

Started by pickdropper, December 02, 2017, 01:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

really lovely looking guitar.

pickdropper

Thanks guys.  I did a quick and dirty setup on it and it plays significantly better now.  I'm going to have my buddy Jimmy go over it and it should be great.  I'm pretty excited about it.

FWIW, this is the "old" one that I've got.  Going back and forth on whether to sell it or use it at work.  It's different than the '63 reissue, but a cool guitar.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

flanagan0718

Beautiful guitar man. I'm very jealous!

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

playpunk

Quote from: pickdropper on December 02, 2017, 01:18:17 PM
This was sort of an unexpected NGD.  I recently sold my R8 and was vaguely looking for a replacement Les Paul when I came across a '63 Reissue ES-335 in Sixties Cherry.  I already have a 2015 Memphis ES-335 Figured Top but I've always wanted the '63 (specifically in Sixties Cherry).  No flame or anything fancy, just a transparent red plywood top.

Neck is nice on this one.  It's thicker than my 2015 (which I wanted) but not so beefy as my old R8. 

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to sell off my old one and pursue a Les Paul or bring it to work and use it there.

I want to report this post for making me covet a 335. cherry, blocks, perfection!
"my legend grows" - playpunk

pickdropper

Quote from: playpunk on December 04, 2017, 10:08:37 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on December 02, 2017, 01:18:17 PM
This was sort of an unexpected NGD.  I recently sold my R8 and was vaguely looking for a replacement Les Paul when I came across a '63 Reissue ES-335 in Sixties Cherry.  I already have a 2015 Memphis ES-335 Figured Top but I've always wanted the '63 (specifically in Sixties Cherry).  No flame or anything fancy, just a transparent red plywood top.

Neck is nice on this one.  It's thicker than my 2015 (which I wanted) but not so beefy as my old R8. 

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to sell off my old one and pursue a Les Paul or bring it to work and use it there.

I want to report this post for making me covet a 335. cherry, blocks, perfection!

Thanks.  It checks all the boxes for me.
Function f(x)

matmosphere

Quote from: pickdropper on December 04, 2017, 05:10:39 AM
Thanks guys.  I did a quick and dirty setup on it and it plays significantly better now.  I'm going to have my buddy Jimmy go over it and it should be great.  I'm pretty excited about it.

FWIW, this is the "old" one that I've got.  Going back and forth on whether to sell it or use it at work.  It's different than the '63 reissue, but a cool guitar.

Those are both great looking guitars.

What kind of awesome job do you have that you get to have a guitar to use at work.

timbo_93631

This thread is way above my pay grade.  Both just beautiful guitars that are making we paupers, street-urchins, and pickup winders swoon...
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

pickdropper

Quote from: Matmosphere on December 06, 2017, 04:58:32 AM

Those are both great looking guitars.

What kind of awesome job do you have that you get to have a guitar to use at work.

Yeah, I'm extremely lucky with the work thing.  We have a classroom that is in a separate building across the parking lot.  I keep a 100W Mesa Tremoverb, a guitar or three and a full pedalboard there.  I can basically play as loud as I want.  I don't fully crank it as there are neighbors and I value my hearing.  I go over there every day at lunch and practice.  Some days, my co-workers (and sometimes even my boss) come over and play as there is also a bass, drum set, grand piano, etc.  Music is valued highly by the founder, and that's fantastic. 
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: timbo_93631 on December 06, 2017, 05:37:19 AM
This thread is way above my pay grade.  Both just beautiful guitars that are making we paupers, street-urchins, and pickup winders swoon...

Well, like most people, I often sell something off to get something new.  I've been into this for close to 30 years, so I've slowly accumulated some nice instruments.

I've also gotten pretty decent at horse trading with friends.  That doesn't apply here, but it's allowed me to get some cool partscasters and is about to yield a new amp.
Function f(x)

matmosphere

Nice! I wish I worked there, or at least could stop by and jam.

timbo_93631

Quote from: pickdropper on December 06, 2017, 12:08:09 PM

Well, like most people, I often sell something off to get something new.  I've been into this for close to 30 years, so I've slowly accumulated some nice instruments.

I've also gotten pretty decent at horse trading with friends.  That doesn't apply here, but it's allowed me to get some cool partscasters and is about to yield a new amp.
I keed, I keed.  Of course, yep that's how it's done!  I do so much pickup swapping nowadays I am really happy to have my little herd of scratch and dent test mules and project guitars to hone the repair skills, but to have something really just perfect that I don't do anything to besides maintenance, and also preferably 330, 335, Starfire IV, or Zephyr shaped, is a long term goal.  The real roadblock in the short term is raising the 6 kiddos that Mama and I have been blessed with, and that's an easy roadblock to accept because they're just way, way more important than extremely pretty wood and steel music contraptions like your two beauts above.  It turn out that the kiddos are also really quite talented at consuming any leftover dollops of cash I have laying about! 
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

pickdropper

Quote from: timbo_93631 on December 06, 2017, 05:15:40 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on December 06, 2017, 12:08:09 PM

I keed, I keed.  Of course, yep that's how it's done!  I do so much pickup swapping nowadays I am really happy to have my little herd of scratch and dent test mules and project guitars to hone the repair skills, but to have something really just perfect that I don't do anything to besides maintenance, and also preferably 330, 335, Starfire IV, or Zephyr shaped, is a long term goal.  The real roadblock in the short term is raising the 6 kiddos that Mama and I have been blessed with, and that's an easy roadblock to accept because they're just way, way more important than extremely pretty wood and steel music contraptions like your two beauts above.  It turn out that the kiddos are also really quite talented at consuming any leftover dollops of cash I have laying about!

I can't fathom trying to raise six kids.  I'm impressed you are able to find time to do all that and still wind pickups.
Function f(x)

brianq41369

Nice, I actually have an original one from 63',it's a little bit brighter tho as well as a red Trini Lopez 335 model from 63', Rock on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Timko

Nice.  I love a nice 335 (or anything big and hollow for that matter).

I'm currently looking for someone to buy a kidney so I can offer Pat Smear some money for the '63 ES-355 one-off he was playing on SNL earlier this week.