News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hudson Broadcast Clone

Started by juansolo, December 06, 2017, 07:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

A totally uninspired decal (should have been Bruce Willis...), but the internals are a bit more interesting. Cleggy made the vero, which is not usually his thing, but he was obviously in that frame of mind. I just dropped it into the box. It's a Hudson Broadcast clone built on IVIark's vero layout.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

sonnyboy27

I know this is stupid but I really like the green of that wire.

Also, where'd you get the transformer?

juansolo

For this, the green wire is king!

The transformer we got for something years and years ago. Just happened to be the right one for the Broadcast. Probably came from Farnell.

As for the germ, it's REALLY tolerant of what goes in there. Everything we had left worked in it, regardless of leakage/gain. So we've not soldered that in so Phil (who's pedal this is) can choose one. It makes little difference in all honesty. One is a little more flubby at max settings, other than that they all ended up sounding very similar.

zombie_rock123

Looks great! Nice to see the old school juansolo knobs again :) howd you like the sound of this thing?
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

juansolo

Quote from: zombie_rock123 on December 06, 2017, 08:32:48 AM
Looks great! Nice to see the old school juansolo knobs again :) howd you like the sound of this thing?

It seems to be a needlessly complicated for a fuzzy distortion. That said, it's a really nice sounding pedal, surprisingly so.

zombie_rock123

Cool, it was a bit.. much layoutwise for an impulse build. Some people Ive read swear by this one so it's nice to hear someone else's assessment.
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

juansolo

I've built so many different boutique effect clones* it takes a lot to properly impress me these days. I can see why people really like it, as it's a great fuzzy distortion. I expected to be really underwhelmed by it and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it sounds/responds. That said, I CBA to build one for us. You've got to give kudos to the designer, it's a hell of a way at preventing people from cloning your effect, shove an old Ge trannie in there and an audio transformer, it's enough to put most off.

*Something I'm fairly bored of doing hence I don't get excited by whatever the current boutique fad is. I only built this for a friend who basically commissions a shitload of effects from us and pretty much single-handedly is funding the hobby at the moment. So I tend to build what he asks for.

jubal81

Making vero look sharp. Very nice work.

Hadn't heard of this effect. I'll have to look it up.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

JC103

What does the transformer "do" in this circuit?

juansolo

All part of the mojo (I don't have a better answer...). I believe it's based on a desk mic input so I'd hazard a guess that in the original design it was for isolation. I really haven't looked into it.

Vero layout here: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/hudson-electronics-broadcast.html

Forum thread about it here: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/p/forum.html

Schematic on pg2 and more on pg3

selfdestroyer

Slick looking vero build John. Simplicity suits it well.. but Bruce Willis would have been dope. lol

Cody