Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

You think Guitar Center goes under?

Started by peAk, December 12, 2017, 10:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNblueshawk

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 12, 2017, 06:23:40 PM
Quote from: mremic01 on December 12, 2017, 01:48:46 PM
Check out this rockin' Spider III, it's got all the built in fx and amp models you'll ever need. Pay with cash right now and I can cut you a sweet deal- I'll throw in this metal zone and a free cable! Also, would you like to sign up for our credit card?

Mike?

From Guitar Center?

Is that ....you??

::)

I laughed out loud on that one  :)
John

sonnyboy27

Quote from: strat68 on December 13, 2017, 02:19:51 AM
Quote from: Matmosphere on December 12, 2017, 09:36:19 PM
Quote from: strat68 on December 12, 2017, 01:57:57 PM
What surprised me is they just opened a new one in Laurel,MD in October.  It looks like every other one.

Pretty sure it's been there a long time, but closed for a bit while they did a remodel.

Could be wrong, don't get up that way too often.

The ones in VA just outside DC had a very noticable decline several years back. Now they are dirty and don't have much beyond strats and les Paul's.

You may be correct but it never shown up in searches for music stores before.  It's so generic it could be the one in Pasadena, CA I've visited.  It's either Make n Music in Frederick or Bill's in Catonsville if I need something.

I haven't even bothered to go to the new GC in Laurel. If I'm going to a store it's Bills or Appalachian Blue Grass for acoustic stuff (except they don't carry breedlove).

A good friend of mine works at Bills so I try to go through him when I visit there. If you ever stop in, ask for PJ. He's super cool and he'll hook you up.

cajone5

I haven't been very enticed by either the selection or pricing in my local GC's.  My purchases have all been online and after extensive research.  Also, I'm not seeing myself buying up a collection of guitars and amps.  Just a couple good choices so I feel like all I'm set for is little purchases (pedals, cables, picks, strings, etc.) and if I'm going to make a major purchase it will probably be on the used market where there's a glut of choices and much better deals to be had.

strat68

Quote from: sonnyboy27 on December 13, 2017, 07:17:39 AM
I haven't even bothered to go to the new GC in Laurel. If I'm going to a store it's Bills or Appalachian Blue Grass for acoustic stuff (except they don't carry breedlove).

A good friend of mine works at Bills so I try to go through him when I visit there. If you ever stop in, ask for PJ. He's super cool and he'll hook you up.

Love Appalachian.  Bought a Taylor there last year and have an eye on a 12 string.  Oddly enough I've bought 3 guitars from PJ:  LP, Tele, and a Ric 330/12.  But I'm less than impressed with the guitar techs there.

mremic01

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 12, 2017, 06:23:40 PM
Mike?

From Guitar Center?

Is that ....you??

::)

Yes, I am hear to meet all your gear needs. Please buy this can of bees with the phone jacks plugged up so the bees can't get out. I need the commission to pay rent.

lars

Quote from: jimilee on December 12, 2017, 01:58:35 PM
Guitar sales follow music trends, and right now there are now new guitar hero's so to speak, or guitar songs blowing up the radio or whatever people use to consume media now. He said it's all tailor swift, acoustics and ukuleles right now. 
Actually, the trend with the younger crowd right now is to trot out whatever vintage teisco/harmony/silvertone cheap guitar they find at a garage sale because it makes you "hip" and "in-tune" with whatever it is we're supposed to be in tune with (go to Portland, OR and maybe you'll understand). You can't buy that kind of gear at Guitar Center, and the new pedals are outrageously overpriced, so there you go.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

Zigcat

Quote from: lars on December 13, 2017, 08:30:06 PM(go to Portland, OR and maybe you'll understand).

To clarify, we don't take credit for those turds. They just moved here and forced their lame culture on us. "Isn't Portland so cool, guys?" 

somnif

Quote from: lars on December 13, 2017, 08:30:06 PM
Actually, the trend with the younger crowd right now is to trot out whatever vintage teisco/harmony/silvertone cheap guitar they find at a garage sale because it makes you "hip" and "in-tune" with whatever it is we're supposed to be in tune with.

That, or whatever the latest ibanez et al. lifeless sterile numb-bucker guitar is making the rounds these days. That seems to make up most of the other half of new guitarists I come across recently. (And what makes up the VAST majority of used guitars I see hanging on the wall of my local stores)

jubal81

Guitar Center has every force working against it in every direction.

The one thing I think it has going for it is Fender. I believe it was in that aforementioned Washington Post article where I read how Fender is doubling down with a laser focus on trying to recruit and retain new and young guitar players. Longtime players know what they're looking for and shop secondhand/online, but Fender needs a retail presence to get guitars in beginners' hands.

Another thing I'm wondering about is if it goes under, is there going to be a fire sale, or will Fender stack all those guitars in a warehouse to keep the price points higher?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

thesmokingman

Quote from: somnif on December 13, 2017, 09:39:16 PM
Quote from: lars on December 13, 2017, 08:30:06 PM
Actually, the trend with the younger crowd right now is to trot out whatever vintage teisco/harmony/silvertone cheap guitar they find at a garage sale because it makes you "hip" and "in-tune" with whatever it is we're supposed to be in tune with.

That, or whatever the latest ibanez et al. lifeless sterile numb-bucker guitar is making the rounds these days. That seems to make up most of the other half of new guitarists I come across recently. (And what makes up the VAST majority of used guitars I see hanging on the wall of my local stores)
Ironically I work across the street from Dean guitars, which is what dominates the used market in Tampa. Back in Wichita, Schecter were the lifeless sterile numb-bucker guitars of craigslist, facebook, pawnshops, etc
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

drezdn

I went into a guitar center a few months ago when I had some spare time and money to spend. Wandered the entire store and for the most part no one even acknowledged I existed. On one hand, I don't like sales-people to be to aggressive, but this was crazy. I ended up trying a few basses, and ended up buying one through Sweetwater instead because they've always come through for me.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: jubal81 on December 13, 2017, 09:52:34 PM
Another thing I'm wondering about is if it goes under, is there going to be a fire sale, or will Fender stack all those guitars in a warehouse to keep the price points higher?

You would think that makes sense. They are in financial straits and need cash so why not sell off inventory at even a modest discount?

Unfortunately, most of the time they often double-down and try to raise prices shortly before closing doors. Never made sense to me  ::)

pickdropper

If they are closing shop and liquidating inventory, selling everything at steep discounts is a very good idea as they would no longer care about the guitar market.  If they plan on staying in business, there can be a future cost to flooding the market with cheaper instruments; it can redefine the price points for consumers.  While situations can vary, often it is difficult to reset to the previous price point.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Quote from: drezdn on December 14, 2017, 06:00:17 AM
I went into a guitar center a few months ago when I had some spare time and money to spend. Wandered the entire store and for the most part no one even acknowledged I existed. On one hand, I don't like sales-people to be to aggressive, but this was crazy. I ended up trying a few basses, and ended up buying one through Sweetwater instead because they've always come through for me.
That is quite the conundrum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jimilee

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 14, 2017, 06:16:07 AM
Quote from: jubal81 on December 13, 2017, 09:52:34 PM

Unfortunately, most of the time they often double-down and try to raise prices shortly before closing doors. Never made sense to me  ::)
I guess that explains why they are in the shape they are, they need new minds in the home office. Sounds like the instant gratification quick buck, make as much on a small amount of people instead of making a small amount on a larger scale, seems like they'd find a middle ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.