News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mini Timmy

Started by pickdropper, December 19, 2017, 04:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: Adam_MD on December 20, 2017, 01:29:57 AM
Wow everything you build just looks awesome and super expensive.

What do you guys use to clean off the flux residue?  I've never bothered to do it before.

There are a couple of things you can use:

1.) Flux remover.  This works the best, but is a bit expensive.  Still, a bottle will last a while.  Make sure you have decent ventilation.

2.) High purity isopropanol.  I use 99% that I get from Fry's, but you can use the 90%+ stuff you get at the local drug store.  Don't use rubbing alcohol.  The downside is that the this takes more passes to remove the sticky residue.

If I'm being cheap, I'll usually do a few passes with isopropanol and do a finishing cleanse with flux remover.  I also usually start by chipping off the hardened flux with something that won't scratch up the board.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

somnif

I use no-clean flux solder, so typically not much left behind. My cleaning ritual is a brief (10-20s) soak in 99% isopropyl  (from my grocery store first aid section) then a scrub with a short bristled paint brush, and a rinse with DI water. Typically 2-3 passes of this is enough to remove all the flux I can see, and leaves no sticky residue.

sjaustin

A tepee resistor? Amateur hour  ::) J/K, awesome work as always. I agree the over-the-edge etch is baller.

nzCdog

I have to keep reminding myself how tiny those things are... great work Dave... pure 1590A hotness 8)