News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Never Again

Started by pickdropper, December 07, 2017, 04:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

Damn sexy. I love the clean lines on the faceplate. Looks manufactured, all pro like.

gtr2

Looks awesome!

No doubt rehousing is a terrible undertaking.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

LaceSensor

lovelyl looking.
I can attest rehouses you do for the love rather than the enjoyment...
I would likely never do one on request. I would sell a rehouse I no longer enjoyed, but never as a request.  8)

Boba7

Oh yeah rehouses are a PITA, I really admire your patience and in general I absolutely love the look of your builds. Really.
Would have loved to see a gut shot though...
:)

pickdropper

Quote from: Boba7 on December 10, 2017, 12:55:17 PM
Oh yeah rehouses are a PITA, I really admire your patience and in general I absolutely love the look of your builds. Really.
Would have loved to see a gut shot though...
:)

Yeah, I wish I had taken a gut shot or two.  It wasn't pretty, but it wasn't terribly messy either.  It was realistically about as good as I can do considering that I had to work with the existing boards.

Thanks for the kind words, everybody.  While I'm in no hurry to do another one, I am glad this one turned out decently. 
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pickdropper

Quote from: BrianS on December 07, 2017, 02:28:46 PM
Ok. You've done it again.  That face plate is gorgeously done.  So freaking jealous of your skills.  Seriously that thing is just amazing.

Could you do a tutorial on this? Plse.

At some point, I may do a tutorial, but the process is fairly easy to describe (it's not all that complicated, really).

1.)  Paint one side of an 1/16" (or 1.5mm) sheet of acrylic with paint of your choice.  I usually choose black.

2.)  Lay out vector artwork in the program of your choice (I use Adobe Illustrator).

3.)  Flip the artwork along the horizontal axis so that text is backwards.

4.)  Etch/cut the plate out on a laser engraver.  I etch with a raster operation and cut it with a vector operation.  With the engraver I use, the line thickness dictates (0.1 stroke) dictates if it's a vector cut.

5.)  Clean off the excess material from the etching.  Usually compressed air works just fine for this.

When you are done, you flip the plate over so that the etching has the text read forward, which puts the etch on the bottom of the acrylic plate, protecting the remaining paint when it's installed on the pedal.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

fredwreck

Quote from: pickdropper on December 10, 2017, 07:25:49 PM
Quote from: BrianS on December 07, 2017, 02:28:46 PM
Ok. You've done it again.  That face plate is gorgeously done.  So freaking jealous of your skills.  Seriously that thing is just amazing.

Could you do a tutorial on this? Plse.

At some point, I may do a tutorial, but the process is fairly easy to describe (it's not all that complicated, really).

1.)  Paint one side of an 1/16" (or 1.5mm) sheet of acrylic with paint of your choice.  I usually choose black.

2.)  Lay out vector artwork in the program of your choice (I use Adobe Illustrator).

3.)  Flip the artwork along the horizontal axis so that text is backwards.

4.)  Etch/cut the plate out on a laser engraver.  I etch with a raster operation and cut it with a vector operation.  With the engraver I use, the line thickness dictates (0.1 stroke) dictates if it's a vector cut.

5.)  Clean off the excess material from the etching.  Usually compressed air works just fine for this.

When you are done, you flip the plate over so that the etching has the text read forward, which puts the etch on the bottom of the acrylic plate, protecting the remaining paint when it's installed on the pedal.

What etcher do you use? And do you glue the acrylic onto the enclosure? Or just screw it down?  Looks gorgeous! Great work!

drezdn

sjaustin

Quote from: pickdropper on December 07, 2017, 08:31:05 AM
Quote from: culturejam on December 07, 2017, 06:20:13 AM
Never again is what you swore the time before.  ;D

That's my policy.   ;D

I like to imagine you guys sitting around in the Function f(x) warehouse, hunched over your soldering stations, getting loopy off the solder fumes, blasting Violator:D

Timko

Every now and then, you have to do a re-house to remember why you told people you don't do them.  I've definitely been in that cycle before :).

Great work on the enclosure though.  It will turn heads for sure.

nzCdog

I always look forward to your build pics, such a treat. 10/10 ;D