News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Holy Roller - Verified

Started by zoof, December 11, 2017, 02:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoof

Works like a charm! Got best result with 1m dark ldr and 5mm red diffused.

madbean

zoof

I love it. Built it on vero a couple of weeks ago, this is a little more fun to put in a box though!
Don't know how to describe it, it's there, but not harsh. It does the job it says it will do, it's a limiter :)
Really recommend this.

jubal81

Seeing a couple points on this schematic that could possibly cause noise issues. Find it any noisier than other compressors?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

zoof

Quite the opposite, didn't notice any noise at all. Haven't played it loud yet though.

chordball

Quote from: jubal81 on December 12, 2017, 09:04:59 AM
Seeing a couple points on this schematic that could possibly cause noise issues. Find it any noisier than other compressors?

Can you elaborate? Any ideas for improvements? I haven't built it but it was on my radar.

jubal81

Quote from: chordball on December 12, 2017, 11:09:39 AM

Can you elaborate? Any ideas for improvements? I haven't built it but it was on my radar.

Mainly thinking about the LDR on the noninverting opamp input going to a reference voltage. Noninverting inputs have ridiculously high impedance, so that net is extremely sensitive to picking up noise. It's a good idea on layout to keep any traces connecting to a noninverting input absolutely as short as possible.

I've noticed that phasers that use a negative voltage for a split supply rail are much quieter than those with a single rail and reference voltage. If you look at the Mutron Phaser schematic, you see the noninverting inputs and corresponding LDRs are referenced to ground in the phase stages.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

chordball

Quote from: jubal81 on December 12, 2017, 11:37:22 AM
Quote from: chordball on December 12, 2017, 11:09:39 AM

Mainly thinking about the LDR on the noninverting opamp input going to a reference voltage. Noninverting inputs have ridiculously high impedance, so that net is extremely sensitive to picking up noise. It's a good idea on layout to keep any traces connecting to a noninverting input absolutely as short as possible.

I've noticed that phasers that use a negative voltage for a split supply rail are much quieter than those with a single rail and reference voltage. If you look at the Mutron Phaser schematic, you see the noninverting inputs and corresponding LDRs are referenced to ground in the phase stages.

Thanks for the explanation. Definitely not something I even considered before so I learned something new. If/when I build this circuit I will play around with the supply scheme.

gordo

This one has been on the radar for a long time so might have to bust out the FeCl if I can find the pcb's (house is packed up and ready to sell).
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Masochist

Quote from: zoof on December 11, 2017, 02:48:02 PM
I know this thread is kind of old but I'm going to be building one of these pretty soon so I just wanted to ask if you mean any LDR with a min 1mOhm dark rating? Sorry I'm pretty new to electronics but keen to learn!

Aristatertotle

Quote from: Masochist on May 16, 2019, 10:48:22 PM
Quote from: zoof on December 11, 2017, 02:48:02 PM
I know this thread is kind of old but I'm going to be building one of these pretty soon so I just wanted to ask if you mean any LDR with a min 1mOhm dark rating? Sorry I'm pretty new to electronics but keen to learn!

Probably means something 1 Meg dark, lower resistance light.
http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/photocells-cds-5mm-diameter/ like the 8005 option of these.

Masochist

Masochist

Sorry to hijack this thread again but could someone please illuminate me as to what the 'L' pad is for? It's by itself to the right of the LED +/-.

somnif

Quote from: Masochist on June 07, 2019, 12:54:04 AM
Sorry to hijack this thread again but could someone please illuminate me as to what the 'L' pad is for? It's by itself to the right of the LED +/-.

Its the "switch" pad for the LED, equivalent to the Grey wire (coming off the LED) in the latter examples in this pdf: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/downloads/MBP_FootswitchWiring.pdf

It is the ground path for the LED. When the pedal is "off", the LED is un-grounded, so it doesn't glow. When the pedal is "on", the L pad is switched to ground, so current can flow through the LED and it lights up.

Masochist

Oh ok.. so do I connect the LED + and -, and the L goes to the 3PDT like in the document you linked? Sorry I haven't built a pedal with this kind of configuration before! Plus even though I've built a bunch of pedals I am still a bit of a noob when it comes to electronics! Appreciate your help!!