News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

9mm pots and faceplates

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, December 12, 2017, 07:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Looking at etching a faceplate for a project (going into standard Hammond enclosure) that will be using 9mm pots.

If the faceplate is made from standard thickness PCB material, will there be enough threading on the 9mm pots to get the nut tightened down?

pickdropper

Most likely not.  If you use .062" FR4, it won't fit.  I'm not even sure the thinner stuff will fit, but I haven't checked.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

madbean

I've gotten it to fit but not easily (and just barely). Skipping the washer helps.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: madbean on December 12, 2017, 07:48:38 PM
I've gotten it to fit but not easily (and just barely). Skipping the washer helps.

Ugggg.....

I was gonna have Keefe etch some faceplates for me (because he always does top-notch work) but, he only has the standard size FR4. I happen to have some of the thinner stock but, I usually do not do near as good of a job as him.

Decisions... decisions...  ::)

flanagan0718

My experience with face plates and 9mm pots has been...well the same. I typically order the .030 black or blue stuff from ABCFAB. Brian is right, if you don't use the washer it will work. Unless you have the super thin stuff then you shouldn't have an issue.

Willybomb

I actually can't get a 9mm pot to grab the nut on a DD enclosure that has a sticker and a couple of coats on clear on top.  I'd rather use a washer than not.  I can get them to grab on a 125b, but does anyone know if they will grab on a BB?

m-Kresol

these 9mm pots have longer bushings than the 90° pcb mount:
https://www.musikding.de/Potentiometer-9mm-500k-lin

you can obviously hack those in with wires, if that's an option.

I've use 9mm pots with washer and faceplate before. Just drill the holes in the faceplate big enough to fit the washer and screw down the 9mm pots to the enclosure instead of the faceplate. depending on your knobs you won't see it since the washer and nut are lower than the faceplate. you need to attach the faceplate somehow though. maybe footswitch and some superglue at the corners.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Govmnt_Lacky

Necro bump....

So, I ended up having to drill out the faceplates large enough to accommodate the nut on the 9mm pots. The enclosure was drilled to standard size for the pot shaft. The faceplate was drilled to 1/2 inch and the nuts were tightened down with needle nose pliers. If you want to get a socket around them then you would need to go with a larger hole in the faceplate. My knobs were only 20mm at the skirt so I didn't want to go too big with the holes but, it ended up working out in the end.

Just some info for anyone wanting to know in the future.