News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2017 Year-end Wrap-Up

Started by madbean, December 20, 2017, 05:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Thanks for all the suggestion guys.

I think a donate button is a good idea. I've resisted that for a long time since MBP is a business, but there are obviously people that would donate just because they like/use the forum, or the Etcher's Paradise. So, I'll make that happen. A small reward could be cool, too e.g. quality sticker, picks, that sort of thing. I did have those a few years ago and could certainly do it again. I'll take a look today at getting some made.

I'm dead set against charging anyone a fee for selling boards here, or charging the "sponsored" stores for their forum presence. The indirect benefit of this forum being a marketplace and a common meetup is more than enough reward and I think a fee would be a barrier that would make people go elsewhere. A donate button would provide the opportunity to allow those parts of the community to give back if they want but it is not something I would expect or ask for.

The main areas I need to focus attention on are increasing sales and actually doing some marketing. I say that every year though, haha. But, rest assured, MBP is still in good shape. The first half of 2017 was pretty concerning but the second half picked up steam and there won't be any noticeable impact from the end-user/customer side yet. Prices will not increase, and projects will still get released. I may down-size the roster a bit but mostly that would be to make room for newer stuff.

One last idea I'm considering is doing limited runs of older projects. Maybe bring back a couple of missed projects in batches of 10-25. So, I might start a thread where people can make suggestions on an old project they'd like to have and do a sign-up/pre-order type thing.

matmosphere

Honestly, I've wanted a madbean sticker on my minivan for s long time.

Tremster

I second what everyone else said: I frequent this forum a lot, I'm glad it exists, it is a great community - and I have hardly built any pedal at all this year. Finishing older projects, and doing a bit of amp and guitar stuff. But I don't think I bought from Brian this year at all, I hate to admit it. So yes, a donate button is a great idea!
Also the limited release of older projects (Sparkplug V2!!)

zombie_rock123

Awesome idea for the donate button, the stickers (I love stickers!) and signup sheets for older projects!
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

culturejam

Quote from: Matmosphere on December 21, 2017, 07:08:10 AM
Honestly, I've wanted a madbean sticker on my minivan for s long time.

Out on the road, today I saw a Madbean sticker on a Minivan.
A little voice inside my head said:  "Don't look back, you can never look back."
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jimilee

I could t possibly add to what's been said, other than, it's nice to see the new faces around we've seen. This is the nicest, self policing site on teh interwebz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

tone seeker

I know I don't post a lot  ( I guess I've been lucky with trouble shooting! ), but I have learned a lot from this forum. Not to
mention, everybody seems cool to get along with, as well as generous! I would have no problem with a membership fee, or
a donate button. It's worth it!

fair.child

Perhaps, in 2018 we could have a slack channel for better communication. I don't mind to help get started.

Superstereosix

Thanks for doing what you do Brian.
Whenever I get the hankering to build something MadBean is the first place I check in.

All the best in the new year.
In Defense Of Humans
affiliations: No TV

madbean

So, 2018 will technically be the 10th anniversary of MBP (if you do inclusive counting starting from 2009). Seems like a good time to update the sticker and offer it for the donation option. I really wish I had done this a month ago when Sticker Robot was offering a ridiculous discount!

jimilee

It's counter productive, but will there be a limited edition  10th anniversary pcb?

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

Quote from: jimilee on December 21, 2017, 04:48:02 PM
It's counter productive, but will there be a limited edition  10th anniversary pcb?

I'm actually thinking about that, too.

pickdropper

Quote from: madbean on December 21, 2017, 05:06:04 PM

It should be matte black with gold plating.  Fancy.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

fair.child

Quote from: pickdropper on December 21, 2017, 05:37:27 PM
Quote from: madbean on December 21, 2017, 05:06:04 PM

It should be matte black with gold plating.  Fancy.

That sounds like when your YouTube subscriber hits 100k or something. Unfortunately, the subscriber list is still at 978 subscribers.

Jmilla

I really like the idea of doing small batches of older projects. There are many projects that I would have bought if I was around when they were being sold. Also I agree with the donate button as well. I'm not super prolific at building or active in the forum but this has seriously been the best hobby ever and this is by far the best place to learn.