News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2017 Year-end Wrap-Up

Started by madbean, December 20, 2017, 05:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleph Null

This is the best forum on the internet. Maybe "pay what you please" button on Etcher's Paradise files? That is artwork you're just giving away. Stickers and picks would be cool too.

peAk

One thing I have noticed since the years I have been on here is that the life of a pedal builder on average seems kind of short. That has to be due to the fact that building pedals can get redundant. How many delays or phaser do you really need?

I think branching off from just pedals is the way to go if you really want to extend the life/interest of a builder. I think you have already started doing that a little and I really think it's a smart thing to do.

midwayfair

jimilee

Quote from: midwayfair on December 22, 2017, 12:10:10 PM
Quote from: peAk on December 22, 2017, 11:35:04 AM
How many phaser do you really need?

Let's ask Jimi ...
Uhm all of them, duh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

sjaustin

I'd pay a few bucks to make the forum not be all black. These eyes aren't getting any younger.  :)

midwayfair

Quote from: sjaustin on December 22, 2017, 06:30:47 PM
I'd pay a few bucks to make the forum not be all black. These eyes aren't getting any younger.  :)

Go to Profile -> hover over "modify profile" and click "Look and Layout" and change the "Current Theme" (first thing there).

sjaustin

Quote from: midwayfair on December 22, 2017, 06:33:56 PM
Quote from: sjaustin on December 22, 2017, 06:30:47 PM

Go to Profile -> hover over "modify profile" and click "Look and Layout" and change the "Current Theme" (first thing there).
I guess I owe you a few bucks! Ha.

You know, as I hit the "Post" button, I thought I bet there's a way to change the theme, and then I moved on. Thanks, Jon.

junkemail86

I think links to audio clips on the store page would help sales.  We gear junkies can't resist a good tone.
But maybe this already exists somewhere that I don't know of.

m-Kresol

I want to Echo what the others said. I really appreciate all you do for the community and that you give us a place to hang out. My building has also decreased and I'm enjoying layouting too, so I guess I haven't bought any pcbs from vendors this year. I haven't even finished building half the pcbs I won from last years BOTY.

I second the donate button.

Here's to many successful years to come.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

reddesert

I also want to say thanks for the forum and community you've built. I feel like I know a little about electronics, but seeing the exceptional builds that other people are making, is a motivator to raise my building standards.

Also, thanks for discussing the business side a little. I've occasionally been curious about how big this rather niche pastime is, and appreciate your openness on this and some of the frank things about the cottage pedal business that Peter Von Rutter has said on FSB. I have no idea about what the long term trends are in music, guitars, effects, or DIY effects (will people give up on analog electronics? do fewer people have time for DIY?). A few thoughts about promoting the hobby and business (others feel free to chime in / disagree):

- It would probably help a lot to have high-quality video demos of consistent quality. Sometimes you can find a great demo from midwayfair on youtube, and sometimes it's somebody's shaky phone camera vid.

- Discovering where to begin in DIY effects is a little daunting. Google will probably lead you to DIYSB, which can be a great resource but is sort of a mix of noob questions and expert EEs who speak cryptically, and doesn't necessarily lead the novice to where to buy a PCB.

- I imagine the fact that you have to register to read the MBP forum helps keep it low-key and friendly, but also makes it harder to discover.

- There's a bunch of effects PCB sites but it's not always clear what the differentiations are until you've already built a few things (some have more projects good for novices, some of the affiliated sites have more expert projects, MBP has especially clear build docs, etc).

- I like the idea of expanding beyond guitar stompboxes. I also wonder if there are niches for PCBs for sound generators / effects for electronic music?

Zigcat

chris weaver

i just started building about 6 months ago, this place is the best
A caricature is putting the face of a joke on the body of a truth. Joseph Conrad

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love