News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

FV-1 Octave Up/Reverb (Shimmer) board?

Started by Philthy, December 20, 2017, 06:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philthy

Hi Guys,

Anyone aware on any commercially available FV-1 pcbs that'll do a octave -up/reverb ie: shimmer?

edit: I'm trying to avoid any coding.

Cheers

somnif

For the FV-1, if you don't want to do one of the pre-loaded effects, some coding is going to be involved. Can't avoid it, that's just how it works. If you want additional goodies you'll need an eeprom compatable board (like Tonepad's) and a way to shove the code onto the chip.

somnif

I know Drolo has a couple FV-1 boards on his site, no idea how available they are to the public though.

That said you can get a max of 15 effects out of a FV-1 board. There are 7 on the chip, and you can load 8 on an external memory chip. Each will have 3 controllable parameters, plus whatever outboard controls you want (volume, mix, etc).

Drolo's Molecular compacter board, for example, is set up to use the 8 offboard patches, selectable via rotary switch. You could increase this to include the 7 onboards by putting a switch between R16 and pin 13 (T0) on the chip. Closed connection = offboard, open connection = onboard.

I hope more FV-1 boards hit the public in the near future. The few I know of publically available all have issues. Tonepads is barebones as it gets (and is set to use trimmers rather than pots), Drolo's would require a bit of awkward modifying to get the full 15 out of it, PedalPCBs are all hardwired to be single-effect based, etc.

Its a lot of fun, but still a baby on the scene. 

somnif

Yep that is pretty much all you need to start playing with the chip. Int/Ext switch, then the three binary toggles for selecting the programs. 3 pots for the parameters, jack for DC juice, and off you trot.

That particular board isn't really meant for a pedal application (though you could mod it to be so, I suspect) but its an option.

stringsthings

PedalPCB has some FV-1 PCBs.  I haven't tried any yet as I just recently found the site.

http://www.pedalpcb.com/product-category/fv-1/
All You Need Is Love

somnif

Interestingly all the PedalPCB boards are hardlocked to a single function (well, 2 in the VCR's case). I wonder how common this will be in commercial use of the chip.

It makes sense in many ways of course, you can set up all the filtering and cleanup to work with a very specific wave form, rather than trying to jack-of-all-trades something to work with 15 settings, but it does seem a bit wasteful given the capabilities. Only time will tell I suppose.

dan.schumaker

I have the PedalPCB Organ Donor, and it compares very favorably to the EQD Organizer.  I think that thier FV-1 projects only have one function just because that is what the pedals they are based on have.

Hirti

Quote from: dan.schumaker on January 01, 2018, 10:53:00 AM
I have the PedalPCB Organ Donor, and it compares very favorably to the EQD Organizer.  I think that thier FV-1 projects only have one function just because that is what the pedals they are based on have.
I'm actually really interested in that one. Does it sound good? Wasn't really that amazed by the Organizer when I tried it a year ago in a shop.

dan.schumaker

Quote from: Hirti on January 05, 2018, 01:38:57 PM
Quote from: dan.schumaker on January 01, 2018, 10:53:00 AM
I'm actually really interested in that one. Does it sound good? Wasn't really that amazed by the Organizer when I tried it a year ago in a shop.

I think it does.  Its not as convincing of an Organ tone as say a B9 or C9, but for what it does, in the size (and price) it does it for, I like it.  To be honest, I never really cared for the demos of the Organizer I had heard, but playing through this helped change my mind.

somnif

gordo

Glimmer...Shimmer...whatever it takes... 8)
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

fair.child

I am interested to build Glimmer. Seems very fun project. Does anyone know where I can buy the FV-1 chips in the US? It seems it needs to go through Experimental Noize. However, I don't see any button/page to submit a purchase order. Any clues, folks?

somnif

Quote from: fair.child on January 06, 2018, 06:24:58 PM
I am interested to build Glimmer. Seems very fun project. Does anyone know where I can buy the FV-1 chips in the US? It seems it needs to go through Experimental Noize. However, I don't see any button/page to submit a purchase order. Any clues, folks?

PedalPCB and Smallbear both carry them. They're about 18$ a piece. PPCB also has a breakout board if you want to use it in a through-hole application.

Philthy

Thanks for the heads up on the Glimmer.
Just ordered one. Will do a build report.
I have previously owned a Mr Black Eterna so have a good reference point.