News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Circuit has signal until put into enclosure

Started by kh04453, December 21, 2017, 03:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kh04453

I built a 2 in 1 (8 Ball, Slow Loris) and the circuits sound great! Problem is, when I put them in the enclosure, I lose signal whenever I turn on a circuit. If I wiggle it around, signal sometimes jumps out for a second but it's never permanent. I know this is a grounding issue but I don't understand what could be grounding out. I've got electrical tape over a lot of the connections to try and shield them.

EBK

Could you post some pics?
(I'm resisting the urge to joke about the specific size or paint color of enclosure being the problem.)

In the meantime, what else, besides the enclosure itself, is different?  (Scrutinize every detail).  Did you add even a single solder joint or change even 1 wire?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

kh04453

I tried to post a pic but it said the file was too large so I'll post one when I can compress it first. And I followed the build instructions exactly except the two circuits share the power since they're in the same enclosure.

knifedawg

are you using dust covers or electrical tape to keep your pots from grounding out any of the components on the circuit board? that's happened to me a few more times than i'd like to admit. if you're using solder lug pots, i've found that if you're lazy and don't tin your wires first that you can get a poor connection or breakage on a lug.

also double check your 3PDT wiring.  :)

Aleph Null

Bypass signal but no effect signal is almost always a grounding issue. Start by looking for stray wires at connection points like jacks and switches—anything that might ground out on the chasis. Also, if you are using a power supply, the jack must have a plastic barrel. A metal DC jack will ground out on the chasis, resulting in no sound.

jimilee

Sounds to me like one of the 1/4" jacks are grounding out, you get a bad one occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.