News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tesseract Reverb!

Started by jbosco, December 27, 2017, 05:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbosco

So this is my first post, I snagged a pile of boards from here last spring, but I never had the time to finish any.  Fortunately I had a week off and we got three feet (FEET) of snow last night, so I made this. 

I hedged my bets and put this in a 1590XX, I'm not patient enough with offboard wiring to work that tightly in a BB.  I also moved the chaos pot outside but found that there's a ton of signal path bleed when it's turned up.  Not sure what's going on there but I'm not too concerned.  I will paint this in the springtime once it's warm enough for paint to cure. 

Sounds great!  It's a perfect pedal for shoegaze.  Many thanks to Chris for an awesome project.

diablochris6

I like the layout on your enclosure.

After hearing a couple of remarks about the sound bleeding through when the effect is deactivated, I looked into the issue. When the reverb level, feedback, and gain are fairly high, audio from the feedback loop sticks around. If you send lug 2 of the feedback pot to ground when the effect is disengaged, that will get rid of the loop signal. You could use a 3PDT footswitch in place of the DPDT in the build guide and use the third column of lugs to disengage the feedback loop (lug 2 of the pot would go to the middle lug of the 3PDT, and one of the other lugs would connect to ground, depending on if the top or bottom rows of lugs on the footswitch disengages the effect)

Glad you enjoy it!
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

jbosco

Awesome, I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

jbosco

All set!  I popped in a 3pdt and ran a wire up to the recycle pot's 2nd lug, then put the other 3pdt lug to ground.   No more signal bleed and I can mix in as much feedback goodness as I want. 

Thanks again!

soldersqueeze

Very clean aesthetic, the knobs on this look perfect with the unpainted enclosure.
Makes me excited to build one myself.

dropanchor812

I have always dug the more industrial (natural even?) aesthetic too, nice job!

Aleph Null

Quote from: diablochris6 on December 27, 2017, 10:32:18 PM
I like the layout on your enclosure.

After hearing a couple of remarks about the sound bleeding through when the effect is deactivated, I looked into the issue. When the reverb level, feedback, and gain are fairly high, audio from the feedback loop sticks around. If you send lug 2 of the feedback pot to ground when the effect is disengaged, that will get rid of the loop signal. You could use a 3PDT footswitch in place of the DPDT in the build guide and use the third column of lugs to disengage the feedback loop (lug 2 of the pot would go to the middle lug of the 3PDT, and one of the other lugs would connect to ground, depending on if the top or bottom rows of lugs on the footswitch disengages the effect)

Glad you enjoy it!

Couldn't you still use a DPDT to accomplish this?

1 — Tails Pad
2 — Other Tails Pad
3 — Open
4 — LED
5 — Ground
6 — Feedback Lug 2

Also, should you connect the "Delay Feedback" lug 2 to ground or the "Recycle" lug 2 to ground?

P.S. Can you tell I'm preparing to build up the circuit myself?

diablochris6

Quote from: Aleph Null on January 11, 2018, 10:38:02 AM
Couldn't you still use a DPDT to accomplish this?

1 — Tails Pad
2 — Other Tails Pad
3 — Open
4 — LED
5 — Ground
6 — Feedback Lug 2

Also, should you connect the "Delay Feedback" lug 2 to ground or the "Recycle" lug 2 to ground?

P.S. Can you tell I'm preparing to build up the circuit myself?

That DPDT switch should work.

I would connect Recycle's lug 2 with ground in bypass mode. That would kill ALL wet signal. Grounding the Delay feedback pot would still allow output signal of the mixing stage to go into the reverb brick.

Good luck with your build, and have fun!
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

jbosco

I can vouch for that, Recycle 2 will do the trick. 

Thanks everyone for the comments!  I will actually paint this once NY thaws out and I can work in my garage again.

somnif

Man every time I see your board I have a split second freakout about those yellow axial caps. My brain instantly defaults to "those are Vactrols. Why don't I have vactrols for my board? What did I forget?!?!"

My brain is a silly thing at times.

jbosco

Quote from: somnif on January 12, 2018, 01:47:56 PM
Man every time I see your board I have a split second freakout about those yellow axial caps. My brain instantly defaults to "those are Vactrols. Why don't I have vactrols for my board? What did I forget?!?!"

My brain is a silly thing at times.

Hah, I had forgotten to order 1uf ceramics so I had to scavenge those from a local shop which only had those two monsters.  They just barely fit but at least they look rad. 

tcpoint

Uggg.  Now I have to order a Reverb brick and do this project.  I have a bunch of projects on my plate, right now.  But, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Aleph Null

Quote from: tcpoint on January 15, 2018, 01:58:44 PM
Uggg.  Now I have to order a Reverb brick and do this project.  I have a bunch of projects on my plate, right now.  But, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Good luck! I checked Small Bear, Pedal Parts Plus, Tayda, Mouser, and Mammoth and could only find one BTDR-2. Literally only one unit—and a "short" decay at that.

jbosco

Quote from: Aleph Null on January 17, 2018, 10:32:03 AM
Quote from: tcpoint on January 15, 2018, 01:58:44 PM

Good luck! I checked Small Bear, Pedal Parts Plus, Tayda, Mouser, and Mammoth and could only find one BTDR-2. Literally only one unit—and a "short" decay at that.
Try eBay, that's where I found mine.  The pricing is the same as Mammoth or SB and it showed up in a few days. 

somnif

Far as I can tell, mammoth has all 3 flavors in stock (though their website and my browser don't always get along, so it could be lying to me).