Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2018 expectations

Started by madbean, January 01, 2018, 05:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on January 02, 2018, 12:27:09 PM
I would LOVE to do the following:

#1 - Build a Marshall JCM head from scratch (Always wanted to build a JCM 800 as retro as possible)
#2 - Learn to play better. (For someone who has been playing since '96.... I SUCK!)
#3 - Build my Mega-Multi pedal that has been sitting stagnant for months  :-\

These are some great goals. I need to get back to practicing, too. I've barely touched a guitar in the last two weeks.

Frag Magnet

Quote from: culturejam on January 02, 2018, 07:51:27 AM• Lose some weight (15-20 pounds)
• Reduce alcohol consumption (which goes nicely with the above item)
I'm trying to lose weight so I don't have to buy new pants so I can resume alcohol consumption.
Careful what you wish for, friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

cajone5

Interesting trends in this thread, and I'll not make myself an exception to them...

#1 - Practice more and agonize over gear less
#2 - Read more books and less social media/forums
#3 - Maintain/improve my health through good diet, exercise, sleep and less alcohol/caffeine
#4 - Keep building non-necessary stuff but don't buy any non-necessary gear
#5 - Finish my damn dissertation already (this should be #1)

chromesphere

My expectations for 2018:

- Don't be as crappy as 2017.

Which honestly, couldnt be that hard...what a rubbish year it has been.   Started with 6 months of colds which turned into a hospital visit and a broken rib.  James foot surgery (I still have trouble thinking about that time in our life).  and finished with me walking out and leaving my job 2 months ago.  Plus a tonne of other stuff, that's really just some of the highlights...

2018 is looking up...

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

sonnyboy27

I'm looking to build some digital effects, FV-1 based and tap tempo stuff. One of my goals is to have a board of completely diy stuff so some digital stuff will finish it out. I need to finish building a guitar, I've had the body blank lying around for ages. Lastly I want to build an my own amp, although I'm in less of a hurry to do that since me messing with mains voltages freaks out my wife.

I also want to improve my technique so I'm looking at learning some classically inspired arpeggio based things to work that out and make my left hand movement a bit more fluid.

Also, continue down the pour-over-coffee rabbit hole and see how far it goes.

lars

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on January 02, 2018, 12:27:09 PM
I would LOVE to do the following:

#2 - Learn to play better. (For someone who has been playing since '96.... I SUCK!)
This.
I spend so much time tinkering with gear and modifying this and that, etc, etc...I don't focus on the most important part:  playing the blasted thing!
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

Freppo

More dog petting is always a good thing :)

2016 was a shit year for me. 2017 was much better. I had alot of freelance work and I got married in december.
But it was also a struggle.. I was constantly feeling stressed out when I didn't have enough time or energy to do everything I wanted.

My personal expectations and goals for 2018
* Learn to chill out and take better care of myself (I need better sleeping habits)
* Play more music! My new band just got our own rehearsal space. :)
* More long walks in the forest with the dogs
* More gaming (boardgames) with friends and family

Parasit Studio goals for 2018
* Record more bands!
* Keep on building pedals and releasing new DIY projects
? Expand the new DIY projects to studiogear aswell - preamps, eq, komps ect.
* Improve the build documents

Timko

* Continue to work at playing guitar (after a decade long break, the past three years of playing have been great)
* Find some people to jam with and perhaps play out a time or two
* Drink more water (1/2 of your body weight in ounces, daily)
* Hang up the 30 piece of artwork in a closet around the house

Oh, and pedal related
* Box or sell the 6/7 PCBs I've populated
* Finish the 2/3 big PCBs I haven't started
* Buy some more builds from Madbeans (once you get the Attack/Decay back in I promise to buy it and a couple more)

I'm either going to build or buy a guitar synth too.  So if anyone has suggestions on either end I'd be interested to hear.

selfdestroyer

2016-17 was a rough couple of years as a few major events threw my personal life in a dumpster fire. I feel like myself and family have pushed through it and came out the other side ok. So my goals for 2018 are:

Better time management for family, priorities & hobbies
Focus on a healthy lifestyle. I need to loose some weight! Its getting out of hand and effecting my daily life.
Changing my mind set that I need to go "full in" on every project/hobby. I need to lean to take it slower and enjoy it more.

I can't say it enough that I love this place and the group of kick ass people we have here. I have built many genuine relationships from this place and hope to make many more.

Cody

Adam_DIY

I've had pretty much the same shitty 2017 as a few of you other gents I was so glad to see the back of it.

Hopefully in 2018 I can stick to some of the things I failed at in 2017

1 - Stay off the smokes my other half is pregnant with our 1st baby and I'd like to be a lot healthier before he/she arrives in July.
2 - Drop some of the weight I put on in the last few years.
3 - Find a new job in a company I don't think is about to go belly up - which will also help me stay off the smokes.
4 - Spend some more time building pedals and playing music instead of reading about music and pedals.

dan.schumaker

Here are the things I want to get done this year:
1) Clean the shop (It is an absolute mess, has been that way for about a year now.  It will make me and especially my wife happy to get this one done)
2) Finish my Dumble Clone amp
3) Finish my GFS ES-355 I've had sitting for 2 years (I need to paint it and figure out how to do a logo inlay on the headstock)
4) Start a Schutone website and make myself a little more "official" with pedals and PCBS.

stringsthings

A bit too late to the party, but here's my summary of 2017 and goals for 2018:

2017 was a pretty good year.  Can't complain. 
I did alright with my goal of "finish 1 project before starting 2 more".
Not great, but at least I was thinking of it!  :D

So for the new year, ( minus the last 27 days ):
in no particular order
1.  get back to recording some music
2.  play more guitar
3.  lose some weight ( and not put it back on ... which, IMO, is harder )
4.  maintain a more positive outlook on life, in general
5.  think outside the box  ( i just love that phrase ...  :D )
All You Need Is Love

madbean

Update: I am several weeks into my DNGAF attitude and I can honestly say I feel much, much better. A lot of the anxieties I felt about the world (esp. things happening in the USA) have diminished and I've let go of the constant outrage I was feeling about stuff that is beyond my control. I'm keeping myself informed about what's going on in the world but in a more detached way. Even with events in my personal life. Starting to remember that I used to be much more of a Taoist!

midwayfair

Quote from: madbean on January 27, 2018, 07:18:29 PM
Update: I am several weeks into my DNGAF attitude and I can honestly say I feel much, much better. A lot of the anxieties I felt about the world (esp. things happening in the USA) have diminished and I've let go of the constant outrage I was feeling about stuff that is beyond my control. I'm keeping myself informed about what's going on in the world but in a more detached way. Even with events in my personal life. Starting to remember that I used to be much more of a Taoist!

Glad it's making you feel better.

It has always been the case throughout history that the world needs more people to feel the way that you have decided to do. There's enough poison in the world, and at any given point we have the choice between feeling something negative or angry and feeling something hopeful, exciting, or happy, why choose the former? Even the worst things in life can have a positive aspect if we can only find use our energy to find them. (I say this as someone given to occasionally dark thoughts due to stupid brain chemicals and personal failing, but I don't stop trying.)

jimilee

1.I'm working on promoting in my company.
2.Buy a house
3.Build more guitars and buy less.
4.Build an amp.
5.Continue to learn to play guitar better.
6.I've been married to my 3rd wife, a redhead, for 3 years. Redheads aren't for the faint at heart, so that's going to continue to take some work.
7. I've honestly been thinking about slimming down my guitar collection, 40ish guitars is really just too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.