News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2018 expectations

Started by madbean, January 01, 2018, 05:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I have one resolution for 2018: chill the f*ck out. As in, stop letting the perceived ills of the world affect me quite so much. Not to mean I intend to stop caring, but more a realization that the intertwining of outrage/social media/politics can be extremely toxic to the psyche. Funny thing about aging is that you really start to understand how little you know, how little the world makes sense, and how indifferent the world is to one's own moral compass. So, more music, more dog petting, and more positivity is my own prescription for 2018.

How about you?

peAk

More dog petting FTW!

...and drop about 20lbs  :-\

flanagan0718

Quote from: madbean on January 01, 2018, 05:08:48 PM
I have one resolution for 2018: chill the f*ck out. As in, stop letting the perceived ills of the world affect me quite so much. Not to mean I intend to stop caring, but more a realization that the intertwining of outrage/social media/politics can be extremely toxic to the psyche. Funny thing about aging is that you really start to understand how little you know, how little the world makes sense, and how indifferent the world is to one's own moral compass. So, more music, more dog petting, and more positivity is my own prescription for 2018.

How about you?

This is 100% true. I find myself almost never going on social media nowadays. After the last election...well let's just say I can't stomach all the bitching and complaining. So I choose not to listen / go on FB or Twitter. I use Instagram and this forum more than anything now.

Personally this year, yes, more music please. I would love to get into a band again. It's been years since I played music with friends. I would also like to learn how to focus my time a bit more. My ADHD gets the best of me and I find my self all over the place. Maybe a schedule or monthly goals would be good to set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zigcat

Quote from: flanagan0718 on January 01, 2018, 07:35:27 PM
Quote from: madbean on January 01, 2018, 05:08:48 PM

How about you?

This is 100% true. I find myself almost never going on social media nowadays. After the last election...well let's just say I can't stomach all the bitching and complaining. So I choose not to listen / go on FB or Twitter. I use Instagram and this forum more than anything now.

Personally this year, yes, more music please. I would love to get into a band again. It's been years since I played music with friends. I would also like to learn how to focus my time a bit more. My ADHD gets the best of me and I find my self all over the place. Maybe a schedule or monthly goals would be good to set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was pretty stubborn toward Instagram. Now it's my favorite platform. Pictures of kitties and guitars all day, everyday!

matmosphere

Honestly, I want to get more sleep and take a little better care of myself this year. I'm not even sure if my personal needs were in the top ten of my priorities last year.

I'll echo mike, getting in a band again and making some new music would be great.

This forum is about as social media as I get. I left Facebook three years ago at this point, couldn't stand it then, can't imagine what it's like these days. I know other people have different opinions than I do but I find that with most people if we don't focus those things too much then it's not a problem.

nzCdog

Yay for 2018!  I have a new career to focus on, kids to pay for and some long term goals to work towards.  I wanna be a good husband and father, meet my KPI's at work.  Hopefully I'll pick up a guitar more regularly, and I have a couple pedals to build.  I miss this forum, seem to only get time to peruse these days when I'm not working.  Wishing y'all the best this year :)

alanp

I'm hoping to finally replace my aging computer. It has an original Core 2 Duo processor and DDR2 ram, fer cryin' out loud!

Every previous year, something has always come up to eat my savings...
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

warriorpoet

Well, I am starting grad school, and will be finished in 2019, so I guess about 3/4 of my masters is a good goal.

That and finishing a few musical projects I have about...

...and generally being a better husband and daddy, because Lord knows my wife and kids deserve it :)
Mzo.FX, Owner

juansolo

I feel very much the same and I've abandoned social media in its entirety.

Now all I need is a dog.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

EBK

I don't recall ever being particularly afraid of the horrible things people could do when power and hate are combined until 2017.  This past year has definitely been toxic to my psyche too.  I'm hoping this year will better, or at least not a lot worse, but perhaps more detachment from the events of the world and more guitar playing would do me good as well. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

matmosphere

I discovered this year that there was a time that the only place I like getting news about certain things is from Stephen Colbert's monologue. It's just on to late to stay up most nights.

culturejam

I want to get a few things done in 2018:

• Record an original song (or two)
• Downsize my guitar collection
• Finish a FV-1 project (or two)
• Lose some weight (15-20 pounds)
• Reduce alcohol consumption (which goes nicely with the above item)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

timbo_93631

I'm working on our place, putting time into the gardens, clearing overgrown areas, learning how to care for my pecan trees.  Goals for 2018:
Get the exterior of the house painted
Plant, grow, and harvest fruits and veg for the family
Swing the axe as much as possible/build a huge wood pile
Wind more pickups than 2017
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

Muadzin

I'm glad I've managed to abstain from social media so far. As I get older I find that my viewpoints harden and I have less and less patience with the obsessions and outrages of the day. Best to avoid that stuff and learn to be more zen.

So the goal is to make more music and to dance more to music.

Govmnt_Lacky

I would LOVE to do the following:

#1 - Build a Marshall JCM head from scratch (Always wanted to build a JCM 800 as retro as possible)
#2 - Learn to play better. (For someone who has been playing since '96.... I SUCK!)
#3 - Build my Mega-Multi pedal that has been sitting stagnant for months  :-\